Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Need help or suggestions asap!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 12:49 AM
hohner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help or suggestions asap!!

I got in my '99 Ram and turned on the lights....no lowbeams but highs work fine. I checked the bulbs by pulling them out and using jumper wires and they work fine....so....I bought a new dash switch....put it in...no change...no lowbeams, but everything else works. Where do I go next to fix!!?? Both lowbeams will not come on...both bulbs are good...I'm stumped....I thought maybe a ground wire but then the highbeams shouldn't work either. Any help would be most appreciated!! Thanks!!

Old 04-27-2007, 12:53 AM
asybra00
Default RE: Need help or suggestions asap!!

I am by far an expert here but heres one thought maybe a fuse?? But i tell ya what i just bought a chilton for my 97-00 rams and ill look it up and see if i can come up with anything for ya.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:59 AM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking it may be in the turn signal switch on the colum, don't all the lights go through that switch?

Old 04-27-2007, 01:08 AM
asybra00

Going along with what GTXPOOCH said if it were the signal switch on the column it would be an easy swap assuming that all the wiring is good all the way down. If you need more info and some pics of what the chilton says i can take a pic and post it on here if you would like?? Just let me know.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:22 AM
jakebrake
Champion

there should also be a relay for them, look for it and swap it with another one in the fuse box and see if they work.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:26 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stick your nose down by the headlight switch. See if there is a burning smell to it.

Remove the 2 piece cowl around the steering column. Two screws on the underside. There should be a large wiring harness that plugs into the multi switch. Make sure that connector is snug, and that none of the seperate terminals have popped out of the back of the connector. There was a problem with some Ramsif the tilt steering was used often. The wires would seperate. I believe you would be looking out for a purple wire that was the culprit most of the time. Don't quote me though.

Check all this, after you have made sure that all fuses/relays are fine.

Good luck with your ride

Old 04-27-2007, 02:02 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

Dodge had a problem with the headlight switches for a good number of years.

ALL of the exterior lighting is routed through the headlight switch first. it burns out causing all kinds of catastrophe!!!

your lookin about $60 or so for a new switch and wire harness for it.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:04 AM
Silverline
Veteran

I think that the 99 has fuses for both the lows and highs under the hood. I know on my '00 I didn't have high beams and searched for two weeks for an answer and it was a simple 15amp fuse. Might not be it, but its a suggestion.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: hohner

I got in my '99 Ram and turned on the lights....no lowbeams but highs work fine. I checked the bulbs by pulling them out and using jumper wires and they work fine....so....I bought a new dash switch....put it in...no change...no lowbeams, but everything else works. Where do I go next to fix!!?? Both lowbeams will not come on...both bulbs are good...I'm stumped....I thought maybe a ground wire but then the highbeams shouldn't work either. Any help would be most appreciated!! Thanks!!
most likely the dimmer sw check it out

Old 04-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: bajafun

Dodge had a problem with the headlight switches for a good number of years.

ALL of the exterior lighting is routed through the headlight switch first. it burns out causing all kinds of catastrophe!!!

your lookin about $60 or so for a new switch and wire harness for it.
Are you replacing the stock switch with the same damn one, or is it a "beefier" version?

Seems silly to replace a known defective switch with another known defective switch.

Quick Reply: Need help or suggestions asap!!