Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fuel Additives

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 09:26 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Additives

New to Deisel just bought yesterday. I was reading through posts and see a lot of fuel additives. What are they? Waht do they do? are they worth the money? What brand is good, I use lucas in everythign I currently own.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:49 PM
roadrnnr
Rookie
Default RE: Fuel Additives

stanadyne

best price I could find is at Shopdiesel

Old 05-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Silverline
Veteran

Standadyne, PowerService, Lucas, Howie's...they're all pretty good, some more than others. I general what they do is to boost the cetane level of the fuel in your tank and depending on the brand have
anti-gelling, cleaning, and lubricationproperties that make your truck run better (hopefully). My advice would be to try several types of additive until you find one that you like. Personally I run PowerService and Lucas on a regular basis. I'd like to try Standadyne but its really hard to get your hands on.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:14 AM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

has anyone ever heard of EnviroMax Plusi found it on ebay and its about $45 a bottle. not sure how much comes in the bottle but sounds expensive....

Old 05-03-2007, 01:41 AM
jw_hendry
Rookie

ORIGINAL: nickcoletti

has anyone ever heard of EnviroMax Plusi found it on ebay and its about $45 a bottle. not sure how much comes in the bottle but sounds expensive....

I bought a few bottles of Enviromax Plus on the internet a year ago. It is suppose to be a fuel catalist that will improve fuel mileage. I didn't notice any difference in mileage using the stuf. But that's just my own experience with it.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

I recently qit usin diesel additives due to fuel milage loss. I want from 21mpg with a filthy engine down to 16 mpg after a few months of additive. the engine is very clean, blows no black clouds of death except at start up and stop light acceleration.

now I am gettin back up towrds 18.5 mpg.....slowly creepin upwards!!

if you have a well aged CTD, run diesel kleen or any other additive to clean the stuff out.do itfor few months and stop. track your fuel milage to see if theres any change.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:25 PM
Dodge This
Professional

I use Stanadyne. I get mine from a dieselrepair shopin lubbock tx. 8oz per tank and all is good so far.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I too have bailed on the whole additives thing. I was running Drews Brew and the engine definately ran quieter, however after reading an article in TDR I've stopped for a bit. We'll see. I was actually thinking about emailing Dodge to see what their response to the whole additive thing would be.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:23 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

what did you read on TDR?

Old 05-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

what did you read on TDR?
I haven't been to their site, I read it in one of their magazines. My Pop gives them to me when he's finished with them. I think it was issue 54 where ( looooong story short ) it basically said that additives were NOT needed and that adding too much of an additive can actually do more harm than good. It said that fuel companies are very much on top of adding the proper additives and that adding any more wasn't nessassary.

I dunno ... I'm still lost.

Quick Reply: Fuel Additives