Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

30% better MPG???

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 12:25 AM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30% better MPG???

i feel like im giving a secret away that i just paid for on ebay but in orger for me to try it on my own truck im in need of an expert. it was $2.00 to find the way to make for 30% better MPG and its somthing you can find in either your house or the drug store. well the product was pure mineral oil, he states that if you add so much to your oil and add so much to your gas it will lower the vecosity of oil and in return use less gas. from what i understand its the same effect as a synthetic oil but i could be wrong. my 2 questions are if i try his mix does it have the potential to ruin anything, and if not...im trying to break my truck in for better MPG's and if this have the same effect as synthetic will that stop that process? any replys with opinions would be much appreciated!

the guy has all kind of positive feedback of this working and almost zero negative.... so this to me seems somehat creditable

Old 05-04-2007, 12:40 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 30% better MPG???

30% better economy from mineral oil. . . .HA!!!!!!!

the only thing that will increase the fuel mileage on these trucks is to increase the cetane rateing(BTU) of the fuel. mineral oil wont burn properly in the engine and cause a waxy build up on the cylinder walls. besides mineral oil is not designed to be burned anyway. the only thing I have tried that has increase my mileage has been power service because it raises the cetane of the fuel.

if you just got a diesel, the first 8-10K in mileage cannot be looked at credably to track fuel mileage since the engine is being broken in still. . .after 15-20K the fuel mileage of diesel is more apparent and you can see exactly what you are going to be getting.

the guy is just selling you some sort of snake oil. . .dont do it.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:48 AM
Super Dave
Veteran

The guy is full of BS. He just tring to get $2 from as many people as he can. When you post your feed back, start out saying that he charged you $2 to tell you to put mineral oil in your vehicle. I don't think he can edit or choose not to show negative feedback.
There is no way in Hellmineral oilwill give you 30% better mileage. It will however give you the ultimate in fuel efficiency when your truck blows up and you have to push it home.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:06 AM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

i was figuring responces like that, but at the same time im thinking the same thing. seems like a big risk to take on such an expensive truck. if i had an ol beater-upper i would be more than willing but i just dont know about my truck and this whole mineral oil thing. im gonna play it safe but i was just wondering what you guys thought. put it this way, you all gain frm it incase you ever seen his add on e-bay. you can thank me for spending the 2$ to find out his secret chemical. because i know it was eating me up before i gave into the stupid 2$.
DREW
after 15-20K the fuel mileage of diesel is more apparent and you can see exactly what you are going to be getting.
my truck has 17000 and i get 12 mpg in city, and 13.5 highway (75mph).....the way you wrote that.....are my stuck with a fuel gusslen truck???

Old 05-04-2007, 03:52 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 226 Likes on 211 Posts

ORIGINAL: Drew

30% better economy from mineral oil. . . .HA!!!!!!!

the only thing that will increase the fuel mileage on these trucks is to increase the cetane rateing(BTU) of the fuel. mineral oil wont burn properly in the engine and cause a waxy build up on the cylinder walls. besides mineral oil is not designed to be burned anyway. the only thing I have tried that has increase my mileage has been power service because it raises the cetane of the fuel.

if you just got a diesel, the first 8-10K in mileage cannot be looked at credably to track fuel mileage since the engine is being broken in still. . .after 15-20K the fuel mileage of diesel is more apparent and you can see exactly what you are going to be getting.

the guy is just selling you some sort of snake oil. . .dont do it.
I'm at 57k and am still seeing my mileage creep upwards...

Old 05-04-2007, 04:06 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

DREW
after 15-20K the fuel mileage of diesel is more apparent and you can see exactly what you are going to be getting.
my truck has 17000 and i get 12 mpg in city, and 13.5 highway (75mph).....the way you wrote that.....are my stuck with a fuel gusslen truck???
with 338k on it, the ol 93 is headin back up to 21mpg after I stopped using diesel aditive all the time.

I bought it and it ran 21mpg, dropped to 16mpg with too much additive for too long.

now back up to 18.5 mpg. and rising..this tank has burned just over 1/2 tank, at 270 miles....i can get 400+ miles per tank ridin it like a new hooker!

Old 05-04-2007, 10:55 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Those with Cummins engines may first want to read the 'White Paper'
from Cummins called:
"Secrets of Better Fuel Economy: The Physics of MPG"
which is oriented toward 18 wheel trucks but 90% applies to Ram pickups too.

http://www.cummins.com/na/pdf/en/pro..._Whitepape.pdf

here Cummins give real 'tips' about how to improve MPG by more than 30%
with 15% of the improvement just by learning how to drive better than the average professional can

Old 05-05-2007, 06:01 PM
Ralph78
Professional

ORIGINAL: nickcoletti

i feel like im giving a secret away that i just paid for on ebay but in orger for me to try it on my own truck im in need of an expert. it was $2.00 to find the way to make for 30% better MPG and its somthing you can find in either your house or the drug store. well the product was pure mineral oil, he states that if you add so much to your oil and add so much to your gas it will lower the vecosity of oil and in return use less gas. from what i understand its the same effect as a synthetic oil but i could be wrong. my 2 questions are if i try his mix does it have the potential to ruin anything, and if not...im trying to break my truck in for better MPG's and if this have the same effect as synthetic will that stop that process? any replys with opinions would be much appreciated!

the guy has all kind of positive feedback of this working and almost zero negative.... so this to me seems somehat creditable
SCAM ALERT, SCAM ALERT There is NO WAY you can get any fuel economy from adding mineral oil to your diesel oil or diesel fuel. Mineral oil is OK for lubricating small 2 cycle "Glow" or diesel engines, such as Model Airplane engines. DON'T USE MINERAL OIL IN FULL SIZE DIESEL ENGINES OR IN DIESEL FUEL. YOU "WILL" DO HARM AND "NO" GOOD.

I'm a chem. engineer working in the oil industry, so I have a little knowledge in this area. Remember you can find people on the net who have been "Abducted" by aliens etc..

The addition of PS Gray Bottle will add Cetane number, and a bit of MMO or 2 cycle oil will help lube the injectors and perhaps improve the noise level. As long as the amounts are kept small there should be no risk of harming our CTD engines.

Ralph

Old 05-05-2007, 08:47 PM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ralph, do you have your own mix of additives? Any recommendations?

Old 05-06-2007, 04:36 AM
Ralph78
Professional

ORIGINAL: gtxpooch

Ralph, do you have your own mix of additives? Any recommendations?
I started off using Drew's "Brew", 16 OZ of PS Grey + 8 OZ of MMO. After doing a bit of research and looking at various forums, I am now using 16 OZ of PS Grey and 16 OZ of 2 Cycle W-3 Oil per fillup, which is normally about 25-28 gallons. Except when I fill my Aux. tank with about 50 gallons, then I double the amounts. 50 gallons = $150 fillup cost, OUCH.