Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Brake Box

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 12:25 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Box

Once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away, I saw on someones web site a trailer brake controller that tapped into the master cylinder on the truck. It was integrated with the trucks braking system (similar to the Ford integrated brake system for trailers). Now I can't seem to find the controller or the web page any where. I don't know if the guy made it himself, or purchased it from somewhere. The only results I get when I Google it is Ford web sites. The only thing I can remember about it was that he had installed it on a Dodge CTD. I probably got to his web site from a link on this forum. Does anyone know how to find one of these brake controllers, or who was the guy that had built it?

Thanks,
Bob

Old 05-08-2007, 12:29 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker
Default RE: Brake Box

Those kind of brake controllers used to be the norm. They got edged out by electronic ones. I also think that it is forbidden to tap in to an antilock brake system. I used to have one like you mentioned on my '86 Ford truck, and I remember my dad having the same one on a '69 ford station wagon. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:29 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ever have surge brakes that set up a little too quick?.....lol.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:20 AM
Splicer
Old 05-08-2007, 04:23 AM
handymanherb
Banned

435 bucks for a brake controller, I don't think so

Old 05-08-2007, 05:48 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

I don't think that type is compatable with an antilock brake system.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:58 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I really enjoy it when I have my foot on the brake and I hit a bump and the electric box jumps to full voltage because of some pendulum crap they have in the brake box. Or how about when you hit the brakes going down a steep hill?It is really fun when your trailer is empty and you don't noticethe lock upuntil you see all the white smoke in your rear view mirror. And forget about using it while you are going down a dirt road! I have tried the junk boxes you get at walmart for $39 all the way up to the top of the line Technokia.

I admit that the price is a little high, but it is cheaper than 4 19 inch trailer tires! or all the money added together that I have tried on electric brake boxes. All of my trailer tireshave flat spots on them from all of the junk boxes I have used in the past.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:07 PM
handymanherb
Banned

I admit the new ones need more adjustments and come on to fast but you can turn them down so they won't lock up the brakes.

With the CTD weight I just turned them down as I didn't need them as much as when I was using my Dakota, now I have them set to help not do most of the braking, besides if needed you can reach down and turn them up quick if needed

Old 05-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: CowboyBob

I really enjoy it when I have my foot on the brake and I hit a bump and the electric box jumps to full voltage because of some pendulum crap they have in the brake box. Or how about when you hit the brakes going down a steep hill?It is really fun when your trailer is empty and you don't noticethe lock upuntil you see all the white smoke in your rear view mirror. And forget about using it while you are going down a dirt road! I have tried the junk boxes you get at walmart for $39 all the way up to the top of the line Technokia.

I admit that the price is a little high, but it is cheaper than 4 19 inch trailer tires! or all the money added together that I have tried on electric brake boxes. All of my trailer tireshave flat spots on them from all of the junk boxes I have used in the past.
I don't think I have ever heard anyone say electric brakes are good.

I adjust mine every time I hook up or change load.

Manualy apply full trailer braking and adjust you gain till they lock up and then back it off some so they don't lock.

As far as the speed sensing ones with the pendulum you could not give me one. I allways go with the time based ones.

Quick Reply: Brake Box