Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

BIODIESEL?COOKING OIL? DIESEL SECTREST?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:05 PM
DieselCummin04
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIODIESEL?COOKING OIL? DIESEL SECTREST?

This sounds too good to be true to me.
I know that diesels where ment to run on peanut oil or vegetable oil for the farmers back then.

But I have comed upon a few info on making your own diesel fuel.

I found this site www.DieselSecret.com, which sells you the additives and the book and videos on how to make your own diesel station. and just get the oil from fast food places for free. No engine modifications are needed. you could even use a 50/50 mix.

And there is another way where you could keep the station in your truck, which cost about $2,000 and no additives are needed just pump it into your secondary fuel tank, filter the oil, heat it up and send it to the engine. I found this set up on www.Dieselpowermag.com.

I mean I know Europe has used these systems for a while now. But who here is using these systems for their fuel instead of payn $2.89 for a gallon?

Old 05-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned
Default RE: BIODIESEL?COOKING OIL? DIESEL SECTREST?

YES!!!!!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

many diesel owners here in the Phoenix area already make their own "bio" fuel in the garage. takes 12 hrs with one process Ive heard of.

you can burn old cookin oil straight. unfortunately, if its not heated properly the fats in it will coagulate and clog the injectors and pump.

it averages about $5000 to set up from what I what I hear.

seen another set up in a mag recently that costs about $500 to set up. it also shows a mercedes runnin the "fuel". they have fuel heaters in em already.

just looked at www.DieselSecret.com. sounds very interesting. called my mechanic and his associate wouldnt say yes or no. sounded like he was on the fence of the whole bio thing...!??!?!?!

for $40 as a starter package, whats to lose? just figure that $40 is a partial tank of diesel....at the pump!

Old 05-09-2007, 05:36 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I want to try dieselsecret but am a little afraid as I can not afford repairs if I mess someting up right away. any users yet?

Old 05-10-2007, 12:36 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: jimmydaleo

I want to try dieselsecret but am a little afraid as I can not afford repairs if I mess someting up right away. any users yet?
aint tried bio diesel yet, gonn ahve ta try that stuff ^!!!

for $40, if it dont work, you could say that it was an expensive night at a ratty bar....

Old 05-10-2007, 01:14 AM
DieselCummin04

ahaha. I agree Bajafun. But I did more indepth research and my old diesel instructor told me he runs it and at times he runs a 50/50 mix.

The dieselsecret. doesnt sound bad. They just sell you the additive and just what supplys do you need to clean the cooking oil and what filters and how to process it. I dont know, we will see.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:55 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

they claim that you purchase all neede dmaterials from home depot or lowes...etc for about $100 - $150. plus the $ for the kit and "drill pump"...

not too bad when others cost upwards of $5 g's to start.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:28 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I would not pay anyone for information how to make bio-diesel or a processor to make bio-diesel. I found out everything I needed to do it for free on the internet. Just type "how to make bio diesel" in google and see what you get!

I have made some bio diesel last year and have come to the conclusion that it is not worth the effort. It is very hard to find restaurants that will give you the oil in this part of the US because there are already so manybusinesses collecting it. There are many uses for the used oil other than bio diesel. And there are commercial companines that provide grease dumpsters to the restaurants for free. The companies come by on a regular basis and empty the dumpsters at no charge to the restaurants. Very few people have to pay to have it picked up.

By the time you find a restaurant that will give you the oil, and you drive over there and pick it up, take it home and fish all of the broken spatulas, hair nets, food particles out of it, then filter it, then boil it to get rid of the water, then process it and getting rid of the waste by-product, you have spent a good 8-12 hours of your time making a 25 gallon batch of bio-diesel. It will cost you about $1-$1.25 in supplies to make a gallon of bio so you will save about $30 on tank of fuel.

My 8-12 hours of time is worth a lot more than $30. If your boss called and said that he wanted you to come in to work 8-12 hours on Saturday and he was only going to pay you $30, you would not just say no, you'd probably tell him where to go.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

I hear what youre sayin.

according to the company in question, they say that its a more simple process.

all I know is $3 bucks for diesel (or even unleaded ) is uncalled for. theres even more talk that the average will be higher by summer '08.

besides, If I try that bio set up and its a complete failure, then I write it off on my business taxes

Old 05-10-2007, 05:06 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I'm not discouranging anyone from trying it. If you like to tinker with stuff then you'll probably have fun with it. I sure learned alot from the few batches I made. I did not by a processor, I used a blender and heated the oil up on the stove.

I honsetly think that the oil companies know right where the line is for people to say that it isn't worth the hassle touse bio-diesel, E-85 or electric cars. Because right when people start thinking about it, the price starts to go back down.

My biggest downfall has been trying to get the grease. There are 2 companies in TN that pretty much do the entire state, and if they catch you trying to get some free grease from a restaurant, they act like you are stealing it from them. They take the grease to Alabama and make chicken feed out of it. If I had a good steady source of grease, it would be a different story.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:58 AM
oneball75

I'm trying to get some people in Colorado to go in on a machine so that we can get it going. The ony thing that get me is making it in my garage more over with 3 kids in my house. Lokking for someone with some land..

Quick Reply: BIODIESEL?COOKING OIL? DIESEL SECTREST?