Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Question for Triton...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 05:46 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question for Triton...

well, I'm surely no expert on this subject but, i'll try.

There's a lot involved in deciding which ( size ) turbo you'd want. Going bigger first of all means more fuel is needed. You have to have a upgraded lift pump.

How do you want to use the truck.... towing, racing, pulling, daliy driver. Each one of those can call for a diffrent turbo. The bigger they are, the more lag you'll have. But, if you build components to match the turbo, you can avoid the lagging. Bigger doesn't necessarily mean more power unless you have the other components inline. Do you want throttle response or top end power. One turbo will give you one, another will give you the other.

A bigger turbo helps reduce the EGT's simple by moving more air. The turbine and compressor wheels are larger, their fins are shape a certain way to help move the exhaust and intake. The turbo I bought is completely stainless steel ( exhaust and compressor sides ) It's an improvement over most turbos that are typically made of cast iron. The SS will help keep the heat where it should be... blown out the exhaust and not radiating in the engine compartment.

well, this was my half hearted laymens term explaination. There's tons of info out there about them and I only scratched the surface. It would be wise for anyone to read as much as they can to make their decision. If you need to call someone... just about any diesel dealer at this and other forums would be more than happy to help out with a decision.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:01 PM
sharx ram
Champion

ORIGINAL: triton

ORIGINAL: sharx ram

Thanks Drew...your not joking about that Mayfair hehehe
Yep Sharx... Drew's right. One thing you need to be careful of though.... IIRC, you have a 05 ? I believe it was the 05's that have the plastic intercooler ends. I've seen many stories about very poor connection of the plastic to the metal and they're very prone to blowing under high boost.

If that's what you have.... it's might behove you to do the cooler first.
Thanks Triton, Ive never heard that but I will deffinately check into it...nothing is ever easy is it, but oh well...it keeps things interesting [8D]

Old 05-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you pretty much hit it right there triton.

when you call the turbo manufacturer they will have a series of questions to ask, ane of them bing what have you done so far, and what do you plan on doing. this is critical so you can maintain performance even after you upgrade, then add some goodies.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:14 PM
aka_chewy
All Star

Triton-

That explination helps a ton. I figured there was a lot of variables. Thats why I wanted to start asking questions now so when the time comes, I'm ready to go.

Thanks agian

Quick Reply: Question for Triton...