Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

HD tranny oil cooler locations

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007 | 01:35 PM
kingdog
|
Professional
Default RE: HD tranny oil cooler locations

Well the cooler is in and works great, on average keeps the temps between 165 and 150 , but it has creeped up to 180 in a traffic jam pulling GCVW of 19500LBS up hill, so far so good, I also put on the deeper pan and all is ok in our heat of 100 degres sometimes, so I try and only pull during low light and light traffic times.

Ralph

Old 08-27-2007 | 02:09 PM
SpLaT
Captain

did not think it got that hot north of the border in Canada?
I was thinking of tranny cooler upgrades meself... wife has been nagging meabout needing more room in the RV... so we upgraded... and now my tranny is running a little warmer pullin our 4 slide... "Igloo" around when we go camping. Also thinking of going into the hotshot business..., gonna run icebergs and glaciers south of the boarder. I think them fellows in AZ,CA and NM could use some cooling off and some good clean Canadian drinking water. I'll definitly need a good aux tranny cooler if I'm to run during the summer gets awful warm up here, but then if I wait till winter rears its ugly head it might be easier just to "slide" them bergs/glaciers down on our other mode of transportation.... dog sled!!

I would like to though, meet the first Canadian settler and ask him why he took the land north of the 49th instead taking the much warmer stuff south to settle in!?[:@]

Old 08-27-2007 | 02:29 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Hey King, how did you mount the new cooler? Did you do the "fan facing down" thing?

I don't know why, but every time I've mounted fans either facing the floor or the cieling they seem to wear out quicker than when they are standing up on edge.

Old 08-27-2007 | 02:47 PM
kingdog
|
Professional

Yes, the fan is on the bottom of the cooler, the cooler is bolted the the box cross member just ahead of the rear axle and a little to the passenger side, the fan draws air through the cooler from the top and blows downwards.
I would have liked it up front but there is no room up there at all.

Ralph

Old 08-27-2007 | 02:56 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

Hey King, any pics of your install? If you want to knock down that 180 on a hill, get a double deep tranny pan... I have one and have never seen my temps above 165. I'd think with that and an external cooler, you'd be able to keep it at 160 under load easily...

Old 08-27-2007 | 03:08 PM
kingdog
|
Professional

I also have the double deep pan, it was installed at the same time, this weekend coming up will be test for it, but I am only hauling about 6000lbs straight north for 6 hours.
I will try and get some pic's tonight of the cooler mounted.

Ralph

Quick Reply: HD tranny oil cooler locations