Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

HD tranny oil cooler locations

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007 | 12:54 PM
kingdog
|
Professional
Default HD tranny oil cooler locations

I will be installing one , soon, ( first tranny oil change ) along with a deep pan, any ideas where you could mount the big auxillary cooler ?
It has been suggested to mount under box some where , so oil, goes from tranny to rad, rad to stock cooler, stock cooler to auxillary cooler, back to tranny.

Does not look like there is anywhere around the front to mount the big cooler I am wanting.
It is a BD diesel performance transmission cooler ( electric fan included ) not sure if I will go with the auto( temp controlled) or the manual switch yet ( so I can turn it on when I want )

Ralph

Old 05-28-2007 | 02:48 PM
jakebrake
Champion
Default RE: HD tranny oil cooler locations

maybe above the d-line on the bottom side of the bed. Just a thought, I haven't looked at an 07 yet.

Old 05-28-2007 | 03:03 PM
kingdog
|
Professional

Yep that is the one, and that is where it was recomended to install it.

Thanks for posting that pic

Ralph

Old 05-28-2007 | 03:07 PM
dieselram
Captain

Its possible to mount it under the bed opposite the fuel tank, but you'd need to protect it if you do any off-roading (these QC LB high center pretty easy). Another option I saw that I'm thinking about for an oil cooler is above the intake side of the engine. you'd have to cut out part of the hood and it would be exposed (some might find that ugly). You might look at mounting it behind the drivers side headlight too, I don't remember seeing anything back there you'd be blocking.

Old 05-28-2007 | 03:36 PM
jakebrake
Champion

Thats why I was thinking if you mount it flat above the dline on the underside of the bed so that air will flow between the bed and the cooler. The dline will protect it faily well and if you mount it close to the transfer case, the tcase will protect it from rocks.

Old 05-28-2007 | 03:57 PM
kingdog
|
Professional

Not to sure about sand and salt damage, but would be almost the same as having it at the front ( where there is no room) in front of the many rads/coolers that are there now. Just be a harder clean up LOL

Ralph

Old 05-29-2007 | 01:43 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

Could you not just add a fan to the stock trans cooler? Also what do you plan on towing that is so heavy that it will require 2 trans coolers as I did not think it got that hot north of the border in Canada?

Old 05-29-2007 | 02:34 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

I think it's overkill... the stock cooler on my truck is massive. put an aux fan up front and you should be good to go.

Old 06-02-2007 | 10:20 AM
kingdog
|
Professional

I will be pulling a 13500LB toy hauler and an extra 55 gallons of fuel, or the truck will be loaded with a truck camper ( 4000lb + or- ) and pulling a 6000lbs trailer, yep it gets hot, or so we think it is hot at 30 c plus humidity and have already seen 33 in Elliot Lake and that was in May , so ye we getting hot for sure.

I will be adding it only if I see it getting over 200 on a regular basis, so for the hottest it has got was about 165 or so, so still along ways to go.

Ralph

Old 06-02-2007 | 07:28 PM
FroneDaddy
Captain

Definitely overkill for those light loads, go with an 12v aux fan

Quick Reply: HD tranny oil cooler locations