Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Truck starts out WAY better in 2nd than in Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007 | 03:58 AM
sallyman1
|
Captain
Default Truck starts out WAY better in 2nd than in Drive?

I know i posted this somewhere a while ago BUT WOW! If Im puttzing around town empty (not pulling) and Im in drive I am EXTREMELY sluggish off the line and when foot on brake at red light truck nudges forward a lil bit every minute or so.(plus i can feel it shift kinda hard or shudder into 1st gear as im approaching red light and braking)....BUT When I put truck in 2nd WAY better. No nudging at red light and truck actually speeds when light turns green. and picks up speed faster.Are my bands out of adjustment or is it TRANNY TIME for me?

Old 06-02-2007 | 04:07 AM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker
Default RE: Truck starts out WAY better in 2nd than in Drive?

I have the exact same symptoms as you and I also noticed that when you take off in tow haul mode it doesnt seem as bad. I took it to the dealer and they said drive shaft . They are going to replace it and then realize it isnt it and then try something else I guess, because I have no idea how the drive shaft could cause that problem.

Old 06-02-2007 | 04:12 AM
sallyman1
|
Captain

yeah its weird aint it? in drive I feel as if i couldnt pull a 500 lb trailer off the line. Do you get that nudging at the red light as well. Today i left my foot off brake at red light and when truck nudged forward it went about 2 feet then stopped...WTF/.......

Old 06-02-2007 | 12:19 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Wow that's REALLY weird !!!

I'd be pretty pissed if i just spent all of thata cash and had to pull off of a light in 2nd. That's bizzar !!

Old 06-02-2007 | 12:32 PM
sallyman1
|
Captain

well i can start out in DRIVE but it takes 3/4 pedal to get going. If i move gear adjuster to 2nd I feel as if I can race camaros.

Old 06-02-2007 | 04:14 PM
BFR

it kinda sounds like it minght be tranny time for uguys or maybe its just the first gear. but the nudging problem sounds more of like a problem in the torque converter. although i dont know why it wouldnt doit in all gears if it was the tc. it could be the that first gear is slipping enough to be engauging and disengaging. when u get on the throttle enough there is enough line pressure to positively engauge first gear and overcome the slipping. but when in second it might start in second and second has no slipping. or i could be way out of line and not know what im talking about at all and someone else will be by to help u

Old 06-02-2007 | 10:43 PM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

My truck only has 37,000 miles on it and no mods so I dont know what would cause the tranny to screw up.

Old 06-03-2007 | 03:26 AM
sallyman1
|
Captain

i have lotsa k. i have 189000 km on my 2004 CTD. but still. i am getting tranny filter changed and bands adjusted and tranny flushed next week. welll see if that fixes it. I still have LUBRICO warranty for 2 years yyet on it though so im not worried. LUBRICO warranty just has you pay 100$ deductible thats it.

Old 06-03-2007 | 03:41 AM
moconst
Veteran

Mine seems ok for now, Let us know what you find out

Quick Reply: Truck starts out WAY better in 2nd than in Drive?