Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Diesels good for everyday driver??

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 12:59 PM
minex
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Diesels good for everyday driver??

Aren't diesel cars popular in Europe? I've never been there so I'm trusting what I read on various forums. Anyway, you would think that the diesel engines in these cars are good for your average everyday driver -- the diesel engines in our trucks can't be any worse?

Old 06-06-2007, 05:05 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

ORIGINAL: Ben D.

See I don't live in the city I live out in the rural areas where all the farms are. I like it out htere because well I can run my RC nitro planes and trucks and no one complains and all my ATV's and have plenty of room to do so. The smallest trip to any town is about 10 miles. I have researched the diesel for a long time now and I wanted one for fuel economy, reliability, power, the long lifespan, the "coolness" factor as I like to call it. I was just concerned a bit as I read a lot about how they love to be worked. I know I'll be able to work it cuz I'll just get on the skinny pedal a lot and since i'm getin a six speed i'll just take it to the higher rpms a bit more often to prevent carbon buildup. I do the same with my wrangler because the jeep inline six and four engines are notorious for carbon buildup and it's true. If i drive my jeep like a grany for a few days It'll start to run a bit rough but if i just take it and blow it out it'll run great. taken it to shops and they all say it's a normal thing for a lot of engines. It's just for jeeps it's a lot more prominent. Don't worry guys I'm decided that the diesel is the way to go. I just didn't wanna buy one and then learn that by not working it I basically destroyed a perfectly good engine. but i aint a worried about that no more.
what rc cars do you have? I have 2 revo's a s-maxx, mammoth, mammoth st, rush evo, 2 rc18mt'sand a miniquake I was heavy into them for a while, then I bought a quad, I have since sold the quad and am going to be getting back into rc.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Ben D.
Champion

damn you got way more of em then I do. I have a "begin air" electric rc plane. It's my first one it's a four channel design quite nice i'm gonna soon move into nitro in a plane but this is just for me to get the hang of it. as for trucks I have a Traxxas T-Maxx with the 2.5 not the R jus the normal 2.5. It's all stripped apart because I'm rebuilding it atm with new sleeve piston and rod. plus all new o rings for the carb and engine. I might just do the engine replacement tho becuase it seems to be leaking compression out of the glowplug hole and I dunno why.

How do you like the Revo. Is it a 3.3 or one of the other ones. I'm considering buying one of those or the tmaxx 3.3. The tmaxx is the first I ever had and now I think i'll move up into something a bit bigger in engine size and a bit newer since I know what i'm doing now.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:52 PM
02cummins
Captain

well ill tell ya, i drive honestly less than 1 mile to work...and i start it and let it run for about 1 minute...(in warm weather) then drive it to work at low rpm and let it idle for a good half hour or so, before i shut it off...is this ok or what should i do?

Old 06-06-2007, 08:22 PM
dieselram
Captain

I currently drive a jeep wrangler and I absolutely love it. I just know I wan ta pickup and a diesel seems cool and i've researched it a lot and this was the last question I have before I decided and as of now my only worry which was this is resovled and i have no fear with getting the diesel.
Well, if you ever get crazy, you could swap a 4BT or liberty 2.8L into your wrangler.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Ben D.
Champion

yea but I saw swaps for that and they were like 20k till turnkey. at that cost on a 97 vehicle is not soo high on my list. Plus I want a truck and that's final i want the dodge with CTD. I just had one last question before I went and did it. cuz I didn't wanna buy it and end up ruining it because I wasn't working it hard enough.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Ralph78
Professional

See I don't live in the city I live out in the rural areas where all the farms are. I like it out htere because well I can run my RC nitro planes.
Ben,
I agree, I live in Bakersfield, and though I live in town, 3 good RC flying sites are within 5-8 miles, and a number of places where I can fly FF if I want. Bakersfield also has 5 Dirt tracks within 150 miles, so when one track gets outragous with their Super Stock rules, and jacks the cost up to Moon Rocket levels, I just run my dirt tracker at another track. Shees, one day you would think the promoters would figure out why the car counts go from 30-40 cars to 7-12 is related to the cost.

As for your diesel, go for it, you won't be sorry, and once you get your truck, you will find a lot of things to do with it.

Ralph

Quick Reply: Diesels good for everyday driver??