Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Diesels good for everyday driver??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Ben D.
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesels good for everyday driver??

Ok guys as many of you know I'm hoping to get a dodge diesel in the next few months. It was origanally going to be sooner but I decided to play it safe and wait for all college finances to be complete before taking the leap. I have for a while been caught up in the power of the diesel and the capability. but here is the thing. There is no way I actually need a diesel. I don't think this thing will ever be used for towing or have anything heavy enough in the bed to even work it. mebbe my ATV but that only weighs 650 lbs. I've heard that doing this is hard on a diesel. Granted It will be driven on mostly long trips of 15 miles or moer which gives it time to get up to temp and be there for a time. I'm wondering is that even if on the trips I make if I drive on it hard willl that be enough to work it good enough to keep it running strong. I'd think even if I would like take it out once in awhile and let er rip would that keep it going. or am I making a big mistake if I buy the diesel. No doubt it would be nice but I don't want to hurt the engine because I really don't even need a pickup truck at all but I want one and have always had them. Guess what i'm getting at is am I just being blinded by the power and going to make a mistake if I get the diesel?

Old 06-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Diesels good for everyday driver??

these engines love to be worked hard. . .short trips do hurt them, and will gunk up the injectors. . .as long as your going more than 5 miles you'll be ok. .. for the most part.

I dont need a diesel either. . .however the longevity is what I'm after. . .buying a vehicle every few years is a pain. . .

Old 06-05-2007, 06:02 PM
Ben D.
Champion

See those were my big factors on wanting a diesel. longevity because i am a neat freak and very meticulous when it comes to vehicle care. therefore a diesel is a great investment for me. also fuel mileage in comparison to a gasser as well as power. Not to mention that i can get a stick shift with the diesel. but all my trips I make are at least 12 miles ore more. unless i drive right down the road to my buddies house but the thing i'm wondering is that if what say once a week i just go out and drive on it hard for like 50 miles ore so or mroe than that will that be good enough to work it hard?

Old 06-05-2007, 06:23 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the main reason most small diesels have problems are due to short trips. . .the owners arent able to let the engines stretch out and run. . .with a load.

it is rather amazing to look at a tear down of an engine that been a round town runner, and one thats been on the road hauling. both have the same mileage, however the carbon buildup on the pistons for the round town runner is actualy flaking off. I saw the holes of an ISB that had been worked hard just about every day of it's life, head gasket just went out, however the machining markes where the cylinders were bored were still there, and the piston tops had a black haze on them. . .but looked very well for 350,000 miles.

as long as you let the thing get into a good operating temp, and run it there for a while. . .you'll be good. even though I have a 80 mile round trip to and from work, I'll still get on her every so often. heck I can blow some good smoke with my TST off after cruising for a while and come to a stop, then launch hard.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:37 PM
Ben D.
Champion

I kinda figured that as long as I kept it at operating temp and at times just laid on it going up hills and try to work it i'd be fine. It's not really an around towner i mean for me to go to my school and back is about 30 miles total.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:34 PM
02cummins
Captain

well ill tell ya, i drive honestly less than 1 mile to work...and i start it and let it run for about 1 minute...(in warm weather) then drive it to work and let it idle for a good half hour or so, is this ok ? before i shut it off

Old 06-06-2007, 01:26 AM
dieselram
Captain

I know I didn't need a diesel, but I spent my vette money on it and I love it. I got a manual too and its fun. The only thing I've ever hauled is a UHaul car trailer and my folks RV that we bought for the truck, but its light enough for a 1/2ton. My friend (7.3L Ford) and I only drove our diesels for ayear (daily drivers) and they were great. Its alsofun to be able to helppeople whenever they need it. I'd sugguest a Ram, but you could look at a Jeep or Toyota conversion, or maybe wait for a 1/2ton diesel to come out if you're hesitant.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:37 AM
Ben D.
Champion

I currently drive a jeep wrangler and I absolutely love it. I just know I wan ta pickup and a diesel seems cool and i've researched it a lot and this was the last question I have before I decided and as of now my only worry which was this is resovled and i have no fear with getting the diesel.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:20 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Ben, if you want a diesel, GET a diesel !!

Don't let anyone or anything stand in your way or stop you. I don't necissarily NEED a diesel either, but i have one and I couldn't imagine owning anything else. I live in the city and therefore primarily do city driving which is a lot of light to light driving. When I get to the highway, I let loose. So far, so good.

Do it !!

Old 06-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Ben D.
Champion

See I don't live in the city I live out in the rural areas where all the farms are. I like it out htere because well I can run my RC nitro planes and trucks and no one complains and all my ATV's and have plenty of room to do so. The smallest trip to any town is about 10 miles. I have researched the diesel for a long time now and I wanted one for fuel economy, reliability, power, the long lifespan, the "coolness" factor as I like to call it. I was just concerned a bit as I read a lot about how they love to be worked. I know I'll be able to work it cuz I'll just get on the skinny pedal a lot and since i'm getin a six speed i'll just take it to the higher rpms a bit more often to prevent carbon buildup. I do the same with my wrangler because the jeep inline six and four engines are notorious for carbon buildup and it's true. If i drive my jeep like a grany for a few days It'll start to run a bit rough but if i just take it and blow it out it'll run great. taken it to shops and they all say it's a normal thing for a lot of engines. It's just for jeeps it's a lot more prominent. Don't worry guys I'm decided that the diesel is the way to go. I just didn't wanna buy one and then learn that by not working it I basically destroyed a perfectly good engine. but i aint a worried about that no more.

Quick Reply: Diesels good for everyday driver??