Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

tranny problems...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 12:47 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: tranny problems...

ats tranny... http://www.atsdiesel.com/atswebsite/...nsmissions.asp

to find a used VB for an '05 would be hard... wrecking yards want to keep their tranny's in one piece... easier to sell and anyone who bought an aftermarket one would send theirs back for a core.

the VB is a Suncoast unit.

the other option is for me to swap the tranny myself... would save alot ofbux in the process... anyways... too much to think about right now. Almost time to hit the road to the sierra's, meeting MeanGreen from the Durango forums for some trail runs... man I hope 2nd doesnt decide to bomb while i'm out there... that would suck!

Old 06-12-2007, 03:21 AM
Bigriver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,
I recently upgraded my tranny to the ATS Assembly 4. At first I was crusin in heaven, till the check engine light came on. The P1740 code was thrown, and being out of town, I was dissappointed to say the least. After conversations with the install shop as well as ATS, I understand that the tranny is ok, but just having misscommunications with the computer.
Guess what I'm trying to say is that though you may end up going with a aftermaket tranny that will out perform the stocker, you may have issues with this code happenning to you. I think firemandodge replied to my post as to having a simular situation with his BD tranny.
Suppose we live in an imperfect world eh?

Old 06-12-2007, 12:03 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

that has also crossed my mind. I've come across others who have used the ATS tranny and were not as happy as they'd like to be. My 1st thought was to rebuild it with performance parts when I have to foot the bill, that way I know what's in it and know it should be done right. the tranny guy I've used in the past has 25+ years experience and hasnt steered me wrong yet.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Bigriver

Not that there ia any thing wrong with my transmission, but I understand that this is due to the efficiency of the t/c. When it locks up sooner than a stock t/c with little or no slippage, the computer thinks wtf, something is wrong. I spoke to Eric at ATS yesterday and he said that not all but some 06's are having this issue, and they are indeed working on it. Guess time will tell........

Old 06-12-2007, 02:47 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

what is the p1740 code for?

the TC lockup is not going to change with a tranny swap or a TC swap. it is computer controlled. do you have a ats commander/co-pilot or something similar?

Old 06-12-2007, 03:08 PM
Bigriver

The P1740 code when displayed shows" TCC or O/D , Solenoid Performance ".
And yes, I do have the Co-Pilot installed, though after resetting the check engine light, and turning off the Co-Pilot, the light returned with the same error code.
Yesterday I spoke to ATS and explained how important it is for me to have this corrected.
Lets say the light situation has not changed, and I continue to see this light as a minor irratant. Well, someting major comes along and displays a new code, but I don't reconize the impoprtance due to becoming used to seeing the "minor irratant". Before long I have serious damage due to the P1740 code issue. Thats my current problem....................and waiting for ATS for the solution to their product in my CTD.
I'll let you know if and when.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:30 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

that makes sense then. What else does the controller do? I discovered the other day while babying my tranny that the TC locks @ 25 mph in 2nd gear already which makes me wonder what the benifit of a controller is...

Old 06-12-2007, 04:14 PM
firemansdodge
Professional

Steve-

Try Goerend Tranny. I hear nothing but good and damn nearcheaper than the majority.I tried acouple of times to contactATS and left messages. Never got a phone call back. Everyone else replied back to me. So ATS was off my list. I did alot of research when I upgraded mine. I almost went w/ Suncoast, but the tranny installer that was going to do the work I didn't trust him. So I went to Ken Imler Diesel in Sacramentoand installed BD TC & VB.

The 1740 code like explained above. The new performance tc locks up at a different rpm than the stocker. After a few shifts like that. The truck thinks the tc is slipping throwing the code. The 2005 are notorious for that. Don't matter what company you go to. You have a chance of the truck computer to throw the code. There is no change to the shifting or the tranny. My runs great and matter of fact. I cleared my code about a week ago and it has not come back. So maybe a few times resetting. It go's away. When the check engine light wason I would do the three cycle key on/off to check for other codes besides the 1740 code every now and again.Kind of a inconvience, but I know how my truck sounds and runs soif something was different I would check for another code.

www.goerend.com

Old 06-12-2007, 05:25 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

One thing about Dave Goerend is that when you do get him on the phone ( he is a busy man but he does return calls) he will spend as much time as needed to take care of every question you have and he will not sell you anything you don't need or want. Lucky for me that when mine takes a dump, his shop is only a few hours drive from my house and I will be able to talk to him in person Anyway give Dave a call you can't go wrong by hearing what he has to say.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Bigriver

I have always been told that the stock t/c will not lock up untill 3rd and 4th gear. I understand the controller locks up the t/c in 1st and 2nd as well and the speed at which it happens is variable with the controller. Its all new to me, I very well may be mistaken on some of these facts. I'm just learning as I go along......with the help of everyone here by the way!

Quick Reply: tranny problems...