Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

is any one here a diesel mechanic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 05:41 PM
finny
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: is any one here a diesel mechanic?

im slowly learning the machnics of a diesel from working on my truck. but i think i am gunna go threw college and take an actual course.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:21 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

All I can offer to this conversation is that I get to know my diesel tech's where I bought my truck. They all complain that warranty work does not pay half the hours it takes to complete the job. That was both at the Ford dealer (last two trucks) and the Dodge dealer (current truck). So I would go for industrial diesel or OTR instead. The upside of it at car delaerships is there is always an opening for a diesel tech. Good luck in whatever you chosse, if you apply yourself you'll be successful.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Wi$h

yeah I'm not a big fan of macks either, especially ones with dynatard.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-11-2007, 12:52 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so far, 12 years as a Diesel mech for the military, however I specialiaze in electronics. on the weekends and two weeks in the summer I wrench on diesels, but my day job I work on radiological and chemical detection equipment. I used to do the grease monkey thing. . .and I did enjoy it, however I found out real quick I can make way more money in the electronics field.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:52 AM
02cummins
Captain

yea macks arent that bad to me, since i have been workin on them for 4 years...i havnt had much experience working on much other trucks but atleast when something goes wrong its usuall something with the cam haha...and the fact that they use ceramic roller lifters doesnt help much either...havnt had to many trucks in the shop with the new engine (mp7) which has the DPF yet...so im interested to see how that works out since garbage trucks will be regenerating the exhaust muffler @1200 degrees and maybe melting pavement or even trees. its gonna be interesting

Old 06-11-2007, 10:02 AM
somebodyinok
Professional

I don't think I would quite call myself a diesel mechanic.....more of a flunky for a company called Simons Petroleum. A lot of what we do is new equipment fabrication with some fleet maintanence. It pays the bills until school is over w/ December '07 here I come!!!

Old 06-12-2007, 02:38 AM
THE153624

ORIGINAL: finny

i live up in canada and i was thinking taking schooling in alberta were the oil company's pay for you coursesif you work for them for a certain amount of time. it would suck liveing up there for a couple years but it would be worth it $$$.
I've been a CAT tech for a long time... I was up in Ft McMurraynot too long ago. I was talking to the Finning field techs and they make about 48 an hour...Like 140 K a year. You freeze yourbutt off up there but I'm sure you are used to it. Good heavy equipment techs make 100K+ easy in the States. You can go anywhere you want basically. Stay with the heavy equipment. You should contact Finning about the "Think Big" program... Good luck

Old 06-12-2007, 02:52 PM
SMOKINGREY
Rookie

Im a mech for cat on on the road trucks.anything that has wheels that rolls on the raod that has a cat engine in it.we have a dyno at our shop.im cat certified.i went to there school,the think big programhere in texas.I love what i do. for what i know and what i make for my age i can't complain.there is alot of oppt in cat.lots of diffenernt dept to work in.i also worked on tractor side but i make alor more money over here so i stayed.its fast paced cause the down time on trucks but i love it.i do alor of side work to.you can make alot of money on the side if your good.and you get your name out.i make 20k plus a year just on the weekends.its hard work but it pays off.

Quick Reply: is any one here a diesel mechanic?