Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

is any one here a diesel mechanic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 04:53 PM
finny
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is any one here a diesel mechanic?

i am getting closer to graduation hight school and i am thinking of goin into that line of work. if there is anyone that is, if they could give me there opinion on the job?
if any one could give some input it would be much appretiated
[sm=feedback.gif]

Old 06-09-2007, 05:43 PM
mossy765
Professional
Default RE: is any one here a diesel mechanic?

thats the same with me i got one more year of high school and ive pretty much set my mind on diesel mech. jus bc i love diesels and im plannin on goin to University of Northwestern Ohio since they got the # 1 school in the nation for diesel mechs. i think it will b a great time

Old 06-09-2007, 06:03 PM
finny
All Star

yah i dont wana learn the hard way

Old 06-09-2007, 06:35 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can make a suggestion. It's not worth much, ...... my like a 24 valver.

OOPS.....did I say that. J/k guys.

Anyway, I went to a Hale Fire Pump technician course in Conshohocken (sp) PA. I got certification for repairs on Hale fire pumps. With that training, you see transfer cases, BIG ONES....lol, with about 30 feet of copper plumbing thru it. Whenever the pump is engaged, it pumps water from the pump, thru the transfer case cooler, and then back to the pump. The amount of cooling thats available in amazing. MEGA heat transfer.

Ramblin on, a guy who can service diesels over the road, most of it service and minor repairs, PLUS the know how to service fire pumps,.....= $!$!$!$!$!$!$!$!$!$!$...........lol.

It's very good money but, you earn it by doing honest work. Look around at how many fire trucks are around you. Each one needs to be inspected, serviced, ball valves changed, pump packings adjusted, etc.

If you're fit, and want to stay with a mechanical type job, ur gonna work hard. The pump company down here gets 1.50 per mile just to hit the road. Then they get 120.00 per hour, PER GUY, and they service and test every rig. Pump test, inspections, pump recertifications. A pump recert means hooking up a few hoses.

They get $500 per pump for testing.

You see my point.

I had hands like breaker bars. My left forearm is Popeye-looking .....lol. I can set 10 or 100 ft/lbs before we need an extension........LOL. My right hand gave up the skin............lol.

You won't understand any of this but others will.

I met a guy at K & L gear about 45 mins north of me. He rebuilt both my axles, installed my lockers, flush my tranny, and welded a bracket on my lower steering stabilizer. I gave him 3200 cash. Cash my firend.......ARE YOU WITH ME?.lol

Just breakin chops.

Whatever you choose, good luck with your ride.

DD

Old 06-09-2007, 07:09 PM
jakebrake
Champion

Mechanic for International Harvestor. If your good, you will make a lot of money. Plus everyone everywhere is hiring.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Wi$h

I'll put in my two cents. I've taken a year and half's worth of courses in automotive and diesel. I'll tell you that if go with diesel, there will always be plenty of oportunities for you. Automotive is the same, but with diesel you really have a lot of options. you can work on OTR trucks, off-road trucks, drilling rigs, all kinds of boats, generators, and a few more that I'm probably missing. and with diesel you get PAID. most companies will start you out at like $10-15/hour DURING TRAINING, then usually after like 3 or 6 months of that you will pretty much be a full tech that usually comes with a nice raise. I know an example is Exxon-Mobil starts you out at $16/hour iirc, then after the 6 months training you get bumped to $18/hour, after a year is like $19/hour, after 2 is like $22 or $23. that is working on offshore rigs, 7 on 7 off. so its good money, you will have job security, and there is always a demand. so i would say go for it.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:48 PM
finny
All Star

i live up in canada and i was thinking taking schooling in alberta were the oil company's pay for you coursesif you work for them for a certain amount of time. it would suck liveing up there for a couple years but it would be worth it $$$.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:38 PM
02cummins
Captain

hey buddy, im a diesel mechanic, i am 22 years old and i didnt go to school for it. i started off at 18 years old doing tires, and p/m services on dump tucks, over the road trucks and trailors, and garbage trucks. since then i have left that job and now work at the Mack Trucks dealership in rochester NY. its a fun job, for the most part...i find it easier to worki on trucks than passenger vehicles, thigns are easier to get to, just much bigger. i know a friend that just got out of ohio diesel tech school and knows alot of technical but doesnt know alot of real life problems, and situations, the prob with schools is that everything is on a bench to be worked on, or in a book. the way i went was to start off not knowing anything, and at the bottom. and by doing grease jobs you start to learn components you start to learn what to look for...and then you move up from there. i am gettin into engines at my job and thats what i want to do. i dont know if college would have helped me but i made it without...so if you wanna go and spend the $$$ and learn more technical before you learn the basics then give it a shot bro...

Old 06-10-2007, 02:58 PM
jakebrake
Champion

21 and I've been doing engines almost since I got hired when I was 19. How you liking those macks?[:'(]I can't stand them.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:04 PM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats the same with me i got one more year of high school and ive pretty much set my mind on diesel mech.
Find a local shop and see if they'll let you come in after school and clean the shop or whatever, to get a little experience. Some schools will give you extra credits for it.

Quick Reply: is any one here a diesel mechanic?