Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

I dont think I can do it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 11:23 PM
firemansdodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I dont think I can do it.

Post turbo will read atleast 300*less than pre turbo. You have to be careful. Pre Turbo you ideally want to keep it under 1250 for constent temp. Short burst up to 1450* is ok. AndI really mean short, few seconds. So post turbo I would not go any higher than 8-900*. The Juice w/ Attitude has you put the pyro pre turbo w/ the safety paremeters set that way.. Doesn't mean you can't put it post turbo. Everyone will have a prefernce on this. Not a right or wrong way. Just remember the temp difference between pre & post turbo.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:37 PM
Super Dave
Veteran

I pulled the down pipe and installed the probe there so I can use it with the turbo timer. So far the highest temp I have seen was 850 degrees. That was pulling 5K lbs up a 4% grade passing a Ford at 85 MPH with the Juice on level 3. Luckily the ambient air temp was only about 60, so I think that helped keep the EGTs down.
I am also planning on putting in a pyro guage in the manifold, just for my own piece of mind.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:04 AM
speakle
All Star

I know that I could do it properly and have no issues, like I said, I am just too scared about something just happening to go wrong that is unrelated the pyro install but that being blamed and me being screwed.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:09 AM
moconst
Veteran

mine is on the top of manifold. just had it done the other day. they drilled vacummed then tapped it. they put grease on the tap to hold the particles. Ive put 300 miles on it since. Just do it. Im more afraid of dying than tappin a whole in my ex manifold. Just go for it.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:34 AM
rausch42
Rookie

I just installed my edge with attitude last friday. At first I was a little scared to drill into the manifold butI finally was brave enough and use grease whenI drilled it and put some on the tap thenI took my magnet though the whole whenI was done and it pulled a bunch of pieces out thenI vacuumed it and then started it up so it would blow out the remaining pieces had no problems doing this. The only thingI had problems with was my drill was to big to put it back far enough soI used a right angle drill to get it whereI wanted it to go. I love the finished product just wish i could puff a little bit more black smoke. I won't take it over level 3 though with the stock tranny.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:50 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: firemansdodge

Post turbo will read atleast 300*less than pre turbo. You have to be careful. Pre Turbo you ideally want to keep it under 1250 for constent temp. Short burst up to 1450* is ok. AndI really mean short, few seconds. So post turbo I would not go any higher than 8-900*. The Juice w/ Attitude has you put the pyro pre turbo w/ the safety paremeters set that way.. Doesn't mean you can't put it post turbo. Everyone will have a prefernce on this. Not a right or wrong way. Just remember the temp difference between pre & post turbo.
not trying to sharpshoot here, but the 600's on up can handle up to 1600 for a short duration due to the valve seats. 1250 all day long 1350 sustained is asking for trouble.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:50 AM
Twoforme2
Veteran

Maybe you should rebuild the engine first.[sm=insomnia.gif]Sorry could not resist after seeing your reply to the guy with the squeeky belt.

Tell ya what I got an 07 in my driveway, that if the pillar mount shows up this week I will drill holes in mine to make you feel better. (actually I already called the dealer and asked them about installing gauges and they said that should be ok so long as I dont install any sort of programmer, and made sure to tell me that DODGE COULD TELL.

if you are that worried, drill the hole, install the gauge, and start watching e-bay for a used manifold...buy it, if anything ever happens, swap manifolds

Old 06-19-2007, 02:08 AM
jakebrake
Champion

Sissy, just get off your high horse and do it, nothing is going to go wrong with the turbo.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:18 AM
speakle
All Star

Well said jake. I suppose I could always take the turbo loose.[]

Old 06-19-2007, 02:36 AM
jakebrake
Champion

any little metal shavings aren't going to hurt the turbo. The exhaust will push them out when you first fire it off. The turbo will be spinning so slow, it won't hurt it.