Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

I dont think I can do it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 05:56 PM
speakle
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I dont think I can do it.

I got my edge juice and attitude monitor installed yesterday, went pretty good except getting the plug out of the socket for the rear injectors..my fingers are still sore today. I went to my dads house and got the tap I needed as well as some grease and also found a magnet and got my shop vac ready to go. I just cant bring myself to drill the manifold. I am more than capable since I have been using drills and taps and lathes and such since I was about 8 years old but I am so nervous about the turbo going out later on for whatever reason and them blaming it on that. I had myself psyched up enough to do it yesterday and then it took me so long to find the tap I needed I had time to think about it. I will likely never run it any higher than 1 or 2 maybe the occasional level 3 if I am already moving, would post turbo really be ok? Where would it go atpost turbo? I am such a sissy.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: I dont think I can do it.

When I get my pyro gauge, I'm planning on mounting it post turbo, but then again I'm not doing any bombing on my Ram.

How hard is it to remove the manifold and drill it outside of the truck? Is it really THAT involved?

Old 06-18-2007, 06:25 PM
speakle
All Star

Once again, its a warranty issue with me. I called the dealership this morning and asked a guy there and said if anything were to go wront with the manifold or turbo it would be up to me to fix it because the drilling there would be a great way to void the warranty on them.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:43 PM
ga_noplugs

ORIGINAL: speakle

Once again, its a warranty issue with me. I called the dealership this morning and asked a guy there and said if anything were to go wront with the manifold or turbo it would be up to me to fix it because the drilling there would be a great way to void the warranty on them.
I was a bit nervous myself while tapping the hole (actually brokea piece off thetap at the end) but it was fine and I was able to vacuum the shavings and piece of tap afterwards. ( I attached a small piece of silicone tubing to the vac and stuck that in the hole) .

I was actually much more nervous putting the 15 holes in my cab roof for the lights than tapping the manifold.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Mayfair
Legend

How hard is it to just remove the manifold?

Old 06-18-2007, 07:39 PM
firemansdodge
Professional

It not a pain to take it off, but it's time comsuming andyou have to unbolt the turbo and of course the manifold. Then replace the gaskets most likely when you put it back on. When I did mine I put acouple of stress cracks in it. My fault for being impatient [sm=icon_quiet.gif]. It did give me a good reason to replace the stocker w/ the ATS Exhuast Manifold and they come pre tap.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:52 PM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my edge juice and attitude monitor installed yesterday, went pretty good except getting the plug out of the socket for the rear injectors..
That was the easy part, How did you did the turbo timer connection hooked up? i can't find/get fingers up to the connection!

Old 06-18-2007, 09:33 PM
mopar98
All Star

That's what U should do.
Put on ATS exhaustmaniflold.
I want one of them too.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:55 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Mount it post turbo in the exhaust elbo. It is the cast iron fitting attached to the end of the turbo. You can take it out and do it on "the bench", or even in a machine if you like. When I do my gauges / juice I am going to do that.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:11 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

is that a good spot to mount it after the turbo on the exhaust elbow. i was thinking about mounting mine (if the darn thing ever comes in!) there because if there is any shavings and what not its all outake, you shouldent have a problom with anything going thru the turbo.... but is that a pretty accurate read on temp?