Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Poor A/C Design?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007 | 08:06 PM
ga_noplugs
Default RE: Poor Design?

I've actually been thinking about adding a fan to mine to help push the air through. Since I live outside Atlantapartof my drive is Stop-and-Slow and I will often times barely hit 1500 RPM.
At those times i can tell the cooling isnt quite up to par and really noticeable since I drive into the sunshine.[sm=violin.gif]

Old 06-20-2007 | 12:17 AM
Twoforme2
Veteran

You know, I read somwhere in something dont ask me where or when but I do remember it said AC systems are designed to have a 40mph wind through the condensor for maximum efficiency.
Have you done any freeway type driving to see if it makes any difference?
Maybe what I read was old school stuff and does not pertain anymore, but I would be interested to know if it makes any difference.

Old 06-20-2007 | 12:34 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

It's not just the megacab, my quadcab's air leaves something to be desired too. If it is above 85 and you are not steady driving on the interstate it doesn't do to good. Geton the interstate and put it on recirc and it will blow 40 degree air from the vents. Come to a traffic jam and the interior isn't cool yet and you will be roasting. Once it gets cooled down and you stay moving it does OK. Sad thing is my last 2 Fords were just as bad. Hell on my '99 I had the dealer replace the compressor, condensor, capillary tube, and switches, nothing can overcome a bad design. On my last '04 Ford I found out it had a coolant bypass valve on the heater core, it was vaccum actuated and only shut when in recirc mode. I got the tech and he got the vaccum schematics, and we changed the lines so that it closed whenever the vent mode was selected, that helped a bunch. I have been thinking of installing a bypass valve in this truck, but I can't seem to get anyone to bless the idea. How about it, any one know of a reason not to install a coolant bypass valve to cut the heater core out of the loop when using A/C? I am willing to be the guinea pig.

Old 06-20-2007 | 01:25 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

My heater core blew and I bypassed it by hooking the in-take hose into the out-take hose and it ran fine all summer long. I don't know if the AC was any colder but I was going to suggest trying a bypass. It will at least keep some hot air out of the blower box. Some of the guys that I travel with have Fords with a manual valve that they have installed under the hood to bypass the heater core.

Also, don't know about AZ but in TN there is a state law that lets you back out of any sales contract (such as a truck or car) in the first 72 hours. You could also take it in several times for the same problem and maybe get it a refund under the lemon law. But again it will depend on state law so you will have to check into it in AZ.

Old 06-20-2007 | 09:21 AM
sabersix

This A/C problem is a little disturbing since I also just bought a Mega Cab. I have observed that in low 90s weather here in the Washington, D.C. area that I need to run the A/C on high constantly to keep a comfortable temperature. I can't imagine 107 degrees!!!

Would a pusher fan(s) like this (connected to the A/C circuit) help?

Old 06-20-2007 | 11:25 AM
Joel_MD
Captain
Default RE: Poor A/C Design?

The A/C in my 2007 QC is also not what I hoped it would be. On humid 90+ degree days in the D.C. area, it blows cool air as long as there is good air flow past the condensor. If I have to sit in traffic I turn the A/C to the recirculating mode, which helps a lot. It's been discussed in previous posts that the big electric aftermarket fans would probably help a lot to get more air flowingthrough the condensor.

What did people do in Arizona 60 years ago? They must have been a little tougher and a lot sweatier!

Old 06-20-2007 | 01:49 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: hildenja

What did people do in Arizona 60 years ago? They must have been a little tougher and a lot sweatier!
I don't think 60 years ago they had all of these "mini radiators" to push air through. How many do we have now ... 4 ??

Old 06-20-2007 | 01:57 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

hummm... man I must be lucky then. Mine seems to work fine for me. My condencer is up front where it belongs. On the days over 100 it seems to keep up w/o any problems. Maybe it's because my truck is white???

One thing to mention is the engine fan is not engauged most of the time so your not pulling air thru the condenser when in the city... add the aux fan and you should solve that problem.

when I had my BMW M3 the a/c would blow ice cold in 110 deg weather... in the city. Mostly due to it's aux fan that would kick on and stay on while the a/c is on...

Old 06-21-2007 | 12:30 AM
bksram3500
Record Breaker

my gets cold at 90 degrees but that is as hot as it has been

Old 06-21-2007 | 01:24 AM
ga_noplugs

ORIGINAL: sabersix

This A/C problem is a little disturbing since I also just bought a Mega Cab. I have observed that in low 90s weather here in the Washington, D.C. area that I need to run the A/C on high constantly to keep a comfortable temperature. I can't imagine 107 degrees!!!

Would a pusher fan(s) like this (connected to the A/C circuit) help?
Hey DieselDemon. Is this what you put in yours??

Quick Reply: Poor A/C Design?