Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Poor A/C Design?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 01:22 PM
SoNauty
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor A/C Design?

Alright… day 3. I love my truck… BUT[/b] – I have one problem. I live in Arizona and anyone who has ever experienced Arizona in the summer time you will relate with me. I don’t give a rats *** if it’s a dry heat… 120 degrees is HOT AS HELL!!!!

I bought my MegaNormous Cab because it was beautiful and had the 6.7 in it. I test drove it in the morning where the air conditioner was working wonderfully fine. We signed the papers and gave away our first born with promises of our last born.

It was a good day… until it got hot. My wife and I were driving around town and started to get warm. We turned the AC up a little and kept comfortable. The outside temp read 101 but inside it was nice. A few miles later we started to warm up again and looked at the temp… 105. We turned the AC to full and realized that there was not much in the way of circulating air. I adjusted the ***** and hit some buttons in hopes that I could find a way to make this air blow a little more. No can do buckaroo!

A few more miles and I felt a little moisture on the back of my neck. 107! “Oh my… it’s going to be a HOT summer!” I thought to myself. My wife, who always seems to freeze when I have the house AC set to 78, exclaimed that she was a little warm too and was starting to become a little uncomfortable. Not a good start to a relationship with a $50,000 new truck. Thankfully, a little while longer and the day started to wear off and the temps started to drop. The evening was really nice and we were even able roll down the windows and enjoy some fresh air.

Father’s Day (Here is the thread to explain Father’s Day – it was great! https://dodgeforum.com/m_853331/tm.htm )

I loaded up 5 of the kids and we drove around and showed off Dad’s new toy. About lunch time we were thinking about getting something to eat when I noticed the cab of the truck getting warm again. I set the thermo controls to full blast and noticed that the air was once again not blowing as I would have desired. As time wore on the kids started to complain that they were hot. Now, if you have kids and have them couped up in the cab of a truck and they start to get hot and uncomfortable you can understand my discomfort. Arguments started, fists start flying, hair starts getting lost – kids will be kids. Worst of all I looked back and saw my 18 month old baby boy sweating… AND MY AC WAS AT FULL CAPACITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We drove home and put it up to make a longer story as short as possible. I woke up the next morning and went to work. Left work and the temp read 110. I was a ball of sweat as I drove to the stealership and directly to the service department.

The “Lead AC Tech” came out to check my system and solemnly looked at me and said, “It’s a poor design on Dodge’s part sir. There is nothing I can do for this. The blower just does not move the air for the MegaCab.”

I was stunned. I just signed my life away on this BEAUTIFUL rig and found out by a certified Dodge technician that the AC will not get any better than it is. We were incredibly uncomfortable driving around in 110 heat… what is going to happen when the temps reach 120 and above? That’s typical for Phoenix, Arizona on the street!

Is it true? Did Dodge give the air conditioning system a poor design? Is this what I paid $50g for?

I love this truck but my kids don’t want to ride in it now unless the sun is down.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there some kind of fix to help push the air around in the cab?

Thx for listening!

Old 06-19-2007, 01:27 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Default RE: Poor Design?

even the mega cab does not have the greatest a/c. I normally use a sun shade, let the car warm up for about 5 minutes while the kids get ready (2 boys) then I am alright. Remote start should be in your future and look for shade under these wonderful az tree's buildind are much better.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:01 PM
sharx ram
Champion

Are you never happy, I hear alot of poeple with that complaint, yet mine seems to work fine, never had an issue with it. But then again alittle heat never killed anyone sissy hehehe
Need to get you warmed up for Mayfair and JakeBrake, its a good thing you have thick skin hehehe your gonna needed if you plan on coming in here crying already HEHEHE [8D]

Bring that thing by, I cant wait to see it....and drive it...and sup it up!!!

Old 06-19-2007, 02:33 PM
ga_noplugs

Ok, granted the Mega Limo is bigger and I have a QuadCab but my AC has worked fine up to our latest 92 degree wet heat (deep south) I dontnormally evenrun mine at high.
I'd probably try another stealership just for a second opinion or see what the other AZ guys on here have to say.
On another note, I did see an improvement when I tinted the front side windows and I do also use a sun shade and leave my windows cracked during the day.

I remember someone on here added electric fans on theirs so that it would keep colder while at idle (Demon was that you?)

Old 06-19-2007, 02:59 PM
savage.basher

I would probably agree with the dealership. I am not complaining about my truck but I do notice that mine (quad cab) has a little more of a problem keeping cold than my brother-n-laws standard cab. Even my father-n-laws 4 door dakota seems to have a problem moving the air through the larger cab. The hotest I have seen so far is a 95* mildly humid and I only ram mine on the 2 speed for a little while then back to the slowest speed (recirculating). First I would get a second opinion (previously mentioned), then I would tint the windows (also previously mentioned). A brow across the windshield will help too. Anyway, sorry dude, I think you have probably just discovered one of the few reasons not to buy a mega cab.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea, that was demon. . .and adding the electric fans will help, however there is a point here, it should be cooling at any temp.

poor design. . .a little, look at where the condensor is and where the engine fan is. . .then count what is between. Radiator, Intercooler, and a huge gap. that condensor isnt getting alot of flow.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

my associate picked up one of those 6.7l ctds. not the mega cab though. with his ac on high, and recirculate - NOT "fresh" air . it cools very nicely. check your fan setting when startin it up.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:18 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Dude that BLOWS !!!!

Is there any sort of warranty / test drive period? If so, I'd SERIOUSLY consider giving the truck back to the dealer. As much as I HATE to say it, if you aint happy with it now, it's not going to "grow" on you. I believe most dealers have a 48 or 72 hour "change your mind" clause or something like that. Maybe it's just here, but I'd DEFINATELY check into it BEFORE time runs out !!

Best of luck to ya, and Welcome Aboard !!

Old 06-19-2007, 04:02 PM
CamperAndy
Rookie

Wish I could say it was the truck but I have had no problems except in stop and go traffic. Driven when it was 105 (sorry not any hotter here in Idaho). I seem to always keep the fan on 1 and it keeps the cab cool enough. I do have tinted windows and I am sure that helps.

In stop and go traffic the AC compressor is just not moving enough to meet the cooling demand, if you are having the problem when maintaining say 1600 to 1800 rpm then there is a problem.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:21 PM
SoNauty
Rookie

You know me Sharky! NEVER happy!

I just don't know what to do... I love this truk so I guess I will just have to suck it up in hopes that I will find an aftermarket solution!

Will stop by soon... we are going on vaca tomorrow till next week but hell yea... let's start supe'n this baby up!

Quick Reply: Poor A/C Design?