Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Poor A/C Design?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 01:34 AM
dtb86001
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Poor Design?

Have the dealer activat the manual high idle. i start my megacab 5min before i leave kick it up to 1000 rpm and by the time i leave the ac is ice cold. by the way i commute from Mesa to Downtown Phx. I had a problem with the diverter door last month and it is a 2 day fix because they have to pull out the dash but Earnhards gave me a rental car and all was good after that.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:18 PM
SoNauty
Rookie

Thx for all of your comments... but I need to get something strait...

My AC blows cold... the problem lies that the air does not blow through the vents very hard and circulate the air through the cab. In every other vehicle that I have ever owned when you put the AC on full blast it will actually blow very nicely... when I put this one on full blast the hair on my arms barely moves. That's my only issue... it's the circulation of the air in the cab, not the quality of the coldness.

I don't want to start installing oscilating fans in the cab of my truck just to stay cold! hehe!

Old 06-26-2007, 04:22 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

is there an in cab air filter that could be blocked/plugged? My wifes 2003corolla had the same symptom and would not blow hardly anything out the vents when we bought it used... swapped out the in cab filter and all was good.. blows really cold and hard.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:58 PM
JDH
Rookie

I have read about a defect that causes the recurculate door/flap to stick or become dislodged causing poor air flow. Have you considered checking out that as apossible cause.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:53 AM
TowJumper

My 2006 CTD, Megacab has the same problem of poor air circulation. It is at the dealer now getting the aforementioned recirculate door flap replaced. I will report back if the repair fixes the problem.

Regards.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Little Foot
Veteran

I had that flap replaced on mine problem went away. good luck.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:54 PM
TowJumper

Got the Megacab back from the shop - after the recirculate flap was repaired I have at least twice the airflow. My conclusion is that if your Megacab can not blow enough air to move the hair on your arm (and mine could not), it is brokenand needs repair. It also blows much more quietly FWIW.

Regards.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:27 PM
dtb86001
Professional

ORIGINAL: SoNauty

Thx for all of your comments... but I need to get something strait...

My AC blows cold... the problem lies that the air does not blow through the vents very hard and circulate the air through the cab. In every other vehicle that I have ever owned when you put the AC on full blast it will actually blow very nicely... when I put this one on full blast the hair on my arms barely moves. That's my only issue... it's the circulation of the air in the cab, not the quality of the coldness.

I don't want to start installing oscilating fans in the cab of my truck just to stay cold! hehe!
That is exactly what happend to my truck...... it is the diverter door. the dealer has to remove the dash and replace it and it took a couple days but they gave me a Hundi Senata untill it was fixed. I sure did look funny trying to haul plywood in that hundi

Old 06-28-2007, 03:39 AM
R3LzX

my friend here in Corpus Christi has a mega and Dodge (Lithia) admitted that it was a design flaw and that Dodge has not done anything about it. you can have the dealer block the vent that goes into the back seat (floor vent i think) and this will dramatically increase the air for the frint cab.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:57 AM
dtb86001
Professional

they fixed mine without blocking the floor vent. the service rep told me they had a batch of bad door parts when some of the mega cabs were put together. it sounded plausable to me.... we installed over 30 toilet seats in a building i just finished and every one of them broke off at the tips because of a bad plastic mold. the toilet seat rep (no kidding there is such a job) sent out all new seats no charge.

Quick Reply: Poor A/C Design?