Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

vp44 replaced, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 03:19 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: vp44 replaced, now what?

Whew ... I thought you were going to say that you mounted it in the tank. I probably would have mounted it on the frame rail back by the tank, but if you also got a warning light you should be fine. I'd seriously consider a fuel pressure gauge though even though you have the light. The light only tells you when your effed. A gauge will help you see it BEFORE it happens.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:06 PM
dmorton

I agree with you about the gauge, thats coming soon. Thanks to everyone for the replies. Ill let everyone know how the bleeding goes...

Old 06-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: dmorton
Ill let everyone know how the bleeding goes...

Old 06-23-2007, 12:30 AM
dmorton

Well, loosened #1, #3, and #4. Was able to get a small flow by bumping the starter and letting the lift pump run. Not enough to think that I have great pressure coming through. I also pressed the schrader valve on the vp44 and fuel flowedvery well out of there. So I know the injection pump is primed. Tried starting it and turns out my battery has been run down so low by the mechanic I took my truck back from (long story) that I dont have enough juice to turn it over for but a few seconds. I took off my grid heater, to be able to get to #2, and I took #1, #2, #3, and #4 nuts all the way off, sliding them up the fuel line. Bumped the starter again and got the same result, just a feeble flow, if any. Ive got my batteries on charge tonight and will try again tomorrow morning. I dont know for sure, but I thought Id get decent flow out of the loosened injector lines. I didnt bother with #5 and #6 since they are the hardest to get to and the engine should fire if the first 4 have fuel...

Drew

Old 06-23-2007, 02:22 AM
jakebrake
Champion

You've got to really crank on it, bumping it over will only run the lift pump. The injector pump is driven by a gear. Loosen those lines and crank like theres no tommarow.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:00 AM
dmorton

Ok, ill give thata whirl. I may have to jump it with my wifes truck to keep it cranking. The batteries are about 1 month old, and I think the mechanic killed them. He must have cranked the heck out of it. Thanks for all the advice!

Old 06-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Batphreak
Veteran

ORIGINAL: dmorton

I took #1, #2, #3, and #4 nuts all the way off, sliding them up the fuel line.
Don't start really cranking it with those lines like that. Plus, you need to have your intake system all on there so that you can fire this thing in a bit. Just crack 3 of the ones you can get to, crank and crank until you get fuel squirting out of those things (don't get hands around it, this stuff is at about 4000psi). Once you have 3 injectors bled like that, make sure they're all tight and the truck should fire, it'll run really rough, but after a minute or so it'll smooth out as the other injectors bleed themselves, don't try to rev it to bleed faster, either.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:21 PM
dmorton

Got it running. I put the nuts back on so they were finger tight, and backed off them a bit. Cranked only for a minute and she fired up. Fuel was squirting pretty good out of the lines, so I quickly tightened them up. I was expecting smoke and rough running, but it ran pretty smooth from the get go. Im off to the car wash to wash the fuel off and make sure I dont have any leaks.

Thanks again to all who responded!!

Drew

Old 06-24-2007, 01:30 PM
mako53

you might also want to check your lift pump, mine went out and i didn't even know it until my injection pump went out

Old 06-25-2007, 10:19 PM
dmorton

The saga continues...

Ran great all day today, drove it about 180 miles no problems. Tonight as I go to start it up to pull it in the driveway (its in the street so the kids can play in the driveway), it runs for about 2 seconds then dies. Cranked it over for about 3 or 4 seconds, no start. Let the lift pump run for a cycle then tried firing it up, and it started after cranking for a few seconds. However, my low fuel pressure light was on, so I quickly shut it off as I did not want to damage anything. I have about 1/8 tank of fuel, was planning on getting some on way to work tomorrow. Dont think that could be it, as Ive never had a problem with that before. Could I maybe have some cruddy fuel in there, and now that Im to the bottom of the tank its going through the lines?
There are no check engine lights on. Although, it was still throwing the p1693 code when I checked. Didnt make a difference today, as it ran great all day.

Any ideas??? Im stumped. Thought I had it beat when it ran good today.

Drew

Quick Reply: vp44 replaced, now what?