Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

vp44 replaced, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 10:58 PM
dmorton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: vp44 replaced, now what?

Ok, 15 minutes after my last post, I tried again. Started up fine, no pressure light on, revved fine, seemed ok. I think I have a gremlin...

Old 06-26-2007, 02:20 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Water or dirt, but I'm kinda leaning towards water.

How does your fuel filter look ??

Old 06-26-2007, 10:57 AM
dmorton

Went to fuel up this morning, and to my surprise, the fuel fill cap was off. I hadnt even looked at that, but Im guessing that the mechanic that Ididnt let repair the trucktook it off for some reason. Im hoping that this was the reason it was stalling. Ran great all the way to work today. (50 miles one way)

My filter looks good, replaced about 1 month ago.

Drew

Old 06-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Silverline
Veteran

Is the carter pump from Blue Chip on their website? I tried finding it and could only find their injector pumps and other stuff

Old 06-26-2007, 01:11 PM
dmorton

http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/VP44INFO.html

About halfway down the page, under "pricing",

"We sell a direct replacement for the lift pump for $208.00 which is the latest Cummins part number and considerably better then what came off the truck."

If you are going to go through them, you wont be disappointed.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Well ... I'm glad to hear that everything sounds like it worked itself out. Props to you for having the jimmies to tackle the VP-44 job yourself. I've heard it's a very difficult and time consuming job. I don't know if I would have the pills to attempt it myself.

Good job !!

Old 06-26-2007, 04:01 PM
dmorton

Thanks mayfair. All in all, it took about 4 hours. The worst part for me was the bleeding of the fuel lines...Outside of that, it was pretty easy, and if anyone has even a little mechanical ability and a few tools, it should be no problem. That, and a site like this with alot of expertise on it helps too.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:04 AM
dmorton

Not to prolong this post, but for anyone that does this job themselves, make sure you have NO leaks in the lines whenyou are finished.

Where the sending unit formy low fuel pressure warning light plugs into the banjo bolt on the injector pump, I had an oh-so-small leak. Not dripping or anything, just enough to wet your finger. It was causing the truck to start hard, but run OK when it was running. I had to put some gasket sealer on the threads, but that worked, and now she starts up as good as she runs. So be sure to check for leaks if you have any problems.

Drew

Old 06-29-2007, 04:18 AM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: dmorton

Not to prolong this post, but for anyone that does this job themselves, make sure you have NO leaks in the lines whenyou are finished.

Where the sending unit formy low fuel pressure warning light plugs into the banjo bolt on the injector pump, I had an oh-so-small leak. Not dripping or anything, just enough to wet your finger. It was causing the truck to start hard, but run OK when it was running. I had to put some gasket sealer on the threads, but that worked, and now she starts up as good as she runs. So be sure to check for leaks if you have any problems.

Drew
Excellent tip Drew !!

Here's a new one for ya ... the next time you tackle a job ... big or small ... take your time, take some pics ( lots of em ) and do a brief write up for us to use up top. The more time you put into it, the easier it'll be for the next guy.

Thanks again, and again, I'm really glad to hear it all worked out for ya !!

Quick Reply: vp44 replaced, now what?