Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

How can I know?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 07:44 PM
kybigdad1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I know?

Purchased used 05 CTD 2500, 4x4, quad cab, auto, 265/70/17 mich, 373 gear. Only mod thatI know of isK&N filter and tube, manifoldhas been drilled and tapped for EGTsensor. Afterreading for several days on this forum I've figured out my CTD must not be stock, Ihave noticed lots of black smoke while driving like I've stole it.Back to my question how can I find out what has been changed or down loaded ?Don't want to change anything--------grining from ear toear as I watch black smoke roll while pined to the back of my seat-------this thing takes me back to my high school days and riding in hot rod chevelles,cameros, roadrunners, cudas. If it didn't weigh so much I think it could Fly'

Old 06-23-2007, 09:48 PM
moconst
Veteran
Default RE: How can I know?

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 06-24-2007, 11:41 AM
kybigdad1

Thanks for the info there Mo---- is that what I should expect when I post a WORTHLESS THREAD? Well here is another WOTTHLESS PIC LESS THREAD-------- great welcome to a new user thanks again.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:13 PM
sabersix

Hold on there kybigdad, I think mo just wanted some pics of your new truck to admire.

Your thread is certainly not worthless. You just asked a tough question...

I think that your probably right about the truck being non-stock. The EGT sensor and heavy smoke is a strong indication. If there is no physical device, like an Edge box under the hood, then the previous owner may have used a downloader. I think the only way to verify for sure is to take it to the dealer and have them look at the computer with their SCAN tool. Otherwise, just drive it like you stole it and have fun!

Old 06-24-2007, 12:15 PM
sabersix

Oh, and welcome to the Forum! [sm=smiley4.gif]

Old 06-24-2007, 01:08 PM
ga_noplugs

ORIGINAL: kybigdad1

Thanks for the info there Mo---- is that what I should expect when I post a WORTHLESS THREAD? Well here is another WOTTHLESS PIC LESS THREAD-------- great welcome to a new user thanks again.
Ditto what sabresix said... Everybody wants to see what the new guy has so please don't take that as an attack.

Is there any way you can contact the previous owner? If your truck feels that different from a "stock" truck it may have had something downloaded and I dont know if I'd ask the dealer to check it without trying to find out first. I wouldn't want to give them some reason to void the warranty.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:17 PM
speakle
All Star

Damn, there is an influx of sensative members lately. He was simply showing an interest in seeing your truck dude, chill out. Have you ever had a diesel truck before? They are surprisingly fast stock although they dont smoke much. I cant imagine someone would use a downloader, sell the truck and not reset it because until they set the truck back to stock the downloader is useless.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:40 PM
jakebrake
Champion

All the dealer would be able to tell you is if the computer has been flashed by a programmer. They wont be able to tell you what kind and without the right programmer, the only way to get rid of it is to have the dealer reflash it back to stock. Does it still have warrenty on it?

Old 06-25-2007, 01:46 PM
Midnight Runner
Champion

Welcome to D.Forum.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:04 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Welcome, and do not take the Thread is useless without pics as a attack, we love trucks. admire them and want to see them.