Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

f*$% tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 08:58 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: f*$% tires

When in dought use the "Tim Allen" approach more power and bigger is better.

I use truck tires on all my trailers and have no problems. (load range "E" or better)
Trailer tires as a general rule of thumb are not constructed as well for handling high speed and heat.A lot of them even have "trailer use only" or "trailer" stamped on them so the company doesn't get sued if you put them on your car or truck and have a blowout and kill yourself

Old 06-24-2007, 10:51 PM
bksram3500
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: jakebrake

You have any pics of your trailer behind the dodge?[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]
Naw my wife has my camera in Oklahoma the pic I have is from the dealers site. I will get some soon though

I made it to Portland without anymore blow outs The dodge did great over the mountains and hills I was impressed. The jake brake is AWESOME

Thanks for all the advice I am going to buy some 10ply tires before I travel again.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:08 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Everything you wanted to know about tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tiretech.jsp

Old 06-24-2007, 11:11 PM
bksram3500
Record Breaker

Thatsa good link I'm going to have to keep it around.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:45 AM
stewtina
Veteran

In the 50,000 + miles on my trailer i still have one original. 10 plys from discount and on from th middle of nowhere oklahoma. a bumper pull 20 footer 8500# axles loaded with 19,500 lbs of rock in 100 degree heat no problems. ( only problems with the truck A ford thats been traded in for my mega)

Old 06-25-2007, 08:01 AM
RobertDunn
Professional

When I worked for Budget/Ryder(yellow truck) Moving services in their breakdown line, I would often come accross blown trailer tires... usually these were tires from a dealer who had just replaced them with 8ply tires, not the kind you want to be hauling a car on. When I would dispatch tire service to fix the tire, I would have them bring a complete set, and if all the tires were sh*tty, they would repair the trailer enough to pull off the freeway and then replace the rest. (then I'd call and b*tch out the dealer for being an idiot)

Old 06-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Captain Squalus
I use truck tires on all my trailers and have no problems. (load range "E" or better)
Whoa .... I didn't think you could use car / truck tires on a trailer ?!?!?

I just had a blow out a couple of weeks ago. I replaced all 5 tires ( 4 and a spare ) even though they all kinda looked OK ( except for the blow out tire .... LOL ) I caan't remember the brand name that I used, but it had just as many ply's as what I had. I think it was 4 ply, but then again my trailer is only 3200 lbs compaired to the monsters you guy's are pulling.

Would I have been better off going with truck / car tires? ( I didn't see that qusetion answered in your link Bob )

Old 06-25-2007, 04:45 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

ORIGINAL: Captain Squalus
Whoa .... I didn't think you could use car / truck tires on a trailer ?!?!?

I just had a blow out a couple of weeks ago. I replaced all 5 tires ( 4 and a spare ) even though they all kinda looked OK ( except for the blow out tire .... LOL ) I caan't remember the brand name that I used, but it had just as many ply's as what I had. I think it was 4 ply, but then again my trailer is only 3200 lbs compaired to the monsters you guy's are pulling.

Would I have been better off going with truck / car tires? ( I didn't see that qusetion answered in your link Bob )
I run the same tires on the trailer that I run on the CTD that way I only have to carry one spare.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:11 PM
Mayfair
Legend

My trailer uses 15" tires, and my Ram uses 17" tires. Your trailer must be a lot bigger than mine. My trailer only weighs 3200 lbs.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:29 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

My trailer uses 15" tires, and my Ram uses 17" tires. Your trailer must be a lot bigger than mine. My trailer only weighs 3200 lbs.

Firestone makes a 7.50x15 load range F that is good for 3210lbs @ 105psi that will fit your trailer.
It is a very hard compound tire and wears like iron.
I believe they call it the "transporter"
I have set of those on an old aluminum step van tool truck that have been on the truck for over 20 years. Granted the truck does not get driven much but the tires have about 50,000 on them and between 35 and 40% tread left.

PS it's also abias ply tire so your trailer won't sway as much.

Quick Reply: f*$% tires