Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

f*$% tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 06:11 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: f*$% tires

Well, I guess I should have asked about these things BEFORE I went out and bought new tires !!

Thanks for the tip though Capt !!

Old 06-25-2007, 06:14 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

anytime

Old 06-26-2007, 05:37 PM
Ralph78
Professional

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

Whoa .... I didn't think you could use car / truck tires on a trailer ?!?!?

Would I have been better off going with truck / car tires? ( I didn't see that qusetion answered in your link Bob )
It depends on how fast you are going to tow. Most trailer Specific tires are not designed for high speeds. If you are going to tow at 70-80 MPH, then you may want to go with light truck tires. Trailer tires are designed for less sway,BUT usually not for high speeds.

It does not really matter if the tire is designed for trailers. What really matters is not the Ply rating, what maters is the LOAD RATING OF THE TIRE. Always buy a tire rated a bit above the maximum load per tire and keep them aired up to the max pressure listed on the tire. DON'T BUY THE CHEAP BARGAN BRAND OF TIRE, BUY HIGH QUALITY TIRES IF YOU ARE GOING TO TOW HEAVY LOADS AND OR HIGH SPEEDS. I tow various trailers 30,000-50,000 miles per year and I have learned the hard way that cheap tires are the most expensive in the long run. also remember to KEEP THE AIR PRESSURE UP, LOW PREASURE = HEAT AND BLOWN TIRES.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Well .... we'll see what happens.

I don't think my new tires are any specific name brand, so I guess I cheaped out. I called my friend the tire guy, and just dropped em off. I never even questioned it until now.

We'll see ....

Old 06-27-2007, 02:19 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Brand doesn't matter. It is the load rating, PSI and speed rating you need to watch out for. One of the guys I travel with has a pile of blown tires at his house that is over 8 feet tall. Every brand you can think of is in the pile. He was overloading the weight, not checking the PSI and going WAY TOO FAST for the tires. I was traveling with him one time and when we hit 100Mph pulling a horse trailer, I told him on the CB to just go ahead and I'll catch up with him later because I wasn't comfortable going that fast. I caught up with him alright, about an hour later he was on the sid eof the road changing a trailer tire. It had a tandem axle and the other tire was smoking. I stopped to help change the tire and pointed out that the other tire was smoking and he said that he doesn't worry about them until they blow. I pointed out that he did not have a spare since he just placed it on the trailer, and he decided it would be a good idea to stop at the next truck stop and air up the tires. The one that was smoking had 60PSI in it and it was rated at 110PSI for the max load and had a speed rating of 65 MPH. Wonder why it was smoking????

Old 06-27-2007, 03:34 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Well I'll hafta look at the tires and make sure / see what the max load and max speed is. I already know that they require 50lbs of air. I'm pretty weird about that kinda stuff. Since I have such a hard time finding it written on the tire ( why DO they write the important stuff so small ), I've written 50 right on the rim above the valve stem, that way it's in my face at all times.

Thanks again for the tip Cowboy !!

Quick Reply: f*$% tires