Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

No muffler exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 05:58 PM
jrlaidle
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No muffler exhaust?

Lookingto buyan 06 megacab with a CTD. The truck I foundhas no muffler, only a hackjob exhaust where it appears the previous ownercut off the muffler and then welded a piece of 6"pipe straight back and then kicked it down right before the axle. The 6" pipe was beatwith a hammerin orderfor it to mate up with the stock pipe. Anyway,is there any way this type of set up will damage the turboor anything else in the engine. Basically it has zero backpressure and I don't know if this is bad for anything.Thanks for the help.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:20 PM
savage.basher
Default RE: No muffler exhaust?

Shouldn't be a problem at all. There is pretty big debateover theback pressure topic. IMO since the engine is turbo charged it really dosen't need back pressure on the engine (from the exhaust after the turbo), free'er the better... to a certain extent. I would probably take it to a muffler shop and have them cut out all that 6" mess and weld in a nice piece of 4" like the rest of it's stock exhaust. The muffler shop charged me $65 for the material and labor to do mine.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:24 PM
jtwhites85

I bought my 05 from the dealer with basically the same issue and only 7500 miles on it. The previous owner had taken the muffler off and replaced with a straight 4" line, but done by a muffler shop. I had the dealer give me writtten verification that the warranty was not affected. They said as long as it is cat back, no problem.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:53 PM
FroneDaddy
Captain

You mean they ran a 6" into the 4" and didn't use a reducer, just hammered it until it crimped, how did they clamp it?

Old 06-26-2007, 02:13 AM
jrlaidle
Rookie

There was no clamping done to the "modification." Looks like they sent a blind guy in there with a welding machine and they just kind of filled in all the holes, I am telling ya, real hack job. I think I am passing on the truck anyhow, the more I think about it, the more I feel like if the previous owner would do that to the exhaust, who knows what other hack work he had done to it, just not worth it for that big of an investment.
J

Old 06-26-2007, 03:29 AM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lookingto buyan 06 megacab with a CTD. The truck I foundhas no muffler, only a hackjob exhaust where it appears the previous ownercut off the muffler and then welded a piece of 6"pipe straight back and then kicked it down right before the axle. The 6" pipe was beatwith a hammerin orderfor it to mate up with the stock pipe.
I'd be wonderin what they done to the rest of the truck!!

Old 06-26-2007, 01:04 PM
usafr
All Star

I'd probably do the same thing. Thats alot of money to throw into something only to find out later that theres other more serious screw ups on it. I'm a firm believer in either being 100% sure that I can do it right or getting someone to do the job professionally. I work on high power voltage power lines for a living,, I don't belive in half assin anything,, it has to be done right the first time or not done at all.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:28 PM
savage.basher

I'm gonna agree with the other guys on this one. There should not be any damage by this particlar "modification" , but ya never no what all kinds of other hack jobs have been done. You should just bite the bullet and thrown down the green for a virgin truck, while you can still get the 5.9.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:34 PM
jrlaidle
Rookie

I have definitely decided against that particular truck. I found two other ones I liked last night, but called this morning and they were both sold. DAMN! So now I am torn between an 06CTD that is about 200 miles away and an 05Hemi that is about 70 miles away, both good deals but I am trying to decide which one to go with. Love the diesel for the power, sound, and the fact that it is the biggest baddest toy on the block, but man it is such a huge investment! The hemi is obviously a lot cheaper and has a lot more options on it, but it is just not a diesel.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:35 PM
savage.basher

Post the particulars on the two vehicles, price, mileage, body style, options, etc. I'm sure their are alot of people on here that could help ya make the decision. You might be surprised too that not everyone is just gonna say get the diesel cause it is a diesel forum.

Quick Reply: No muffler exhaust?