Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Chevy HD's have IFS hahahahhaha

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 04:49 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chevy HD's have IFS hahahahhaha

ORIGINAL: rumpumpkin

Actually, the main reason I'm considering the GMC is due to the slightly larger rear seat. I have 3 kids, so backseat comfort while seating 3 across the back is a major concern. I've test drove the Mega cab, but deemed it just too darn ungainly for everyday driving. Plus, I'm a little concerned about the A/C issues that have been cropping up. I love the quad cab, but not sure if I might have a mutiny on my hands during long trips. Kids are only 8, and 5 (twins) so maybe this really won't be an issue for quite some time.
It sounds like you have a kid problem if they can't ride well in a Dodge Quad Cab truck. I've riden in the back of mine and so has my inlaws and non of us has any problems so I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work for you. BTW I know first hand what cramped is as when I was between 5 and 10 my mom and dad use to take us 5 kids on our yearly 2 week vacation in a very well packed to the top with over load springs 1960 Dodge station wagon and with out AC, that is unless you call a few windows opened part way at 75 MPH AC.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:34 PM
dtb86001
Professional

I have 3 year old twins and a 12 year old step son. they all fit in the back no problem. As far as the AC goes the diverter door broke about 3 months after i got my Mega Cab but that is a kown problem and the dealer fixed it. The AC has been great ever since. all this week we have had 110 to 114 degree temps in the afternoon just leave the windows cracked start the truck with the manual high idle run it up to 1100 rpm come back 5 min later and the thing is ice cold.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:42 PM
rumpumpkin
Rookie

Well, so here's the deal. I just took a look at the new GMC, 2500HD, CC, 4x4, Duramax with a buddy during my lunch hour. Did a walk around, and thought..hmm...this looks like a pretty good looking truck. I always picture them lifted with 35's - 37's btw. Interiors look really nice and plush. Also, the back seat was equal depth all the way around (i.e. no indentation in the middle like the Dodge), and looked to have about 2 inches more legroom. So I hopped in the back seat and confirmed that it was a bit roomier. Then, just for grins, I slid over to the middle rear seating position and...YOUCH WHAT IS THAT STICKING INTO MY LOWER BACK?? The middle rear seat on the GMs apparently house a drop down cupholder thang, and is downright brutal when sitting there. I was shocked at how blatantly uncomfortable it was. Even had my buddy sit in it and he confirmed its' awkwardness.

So, looks like I'm back into the Dodge now. Frankly, I'm posting these thoughts and looking forward to your replies to help support my gut feel to go with the Dodge and its' solid front axle, 3500 in sb, srw config., 4.10 gear availability, etc.

And yes DBLR I agree. I don't think the kids will complain about legroom. But, I could see them complaining about that rear center protrusion in the GM's.

Oh, and another thought on the GM IFS. I've already mentioned that the GM's can only squeeze 35's under a 6inch lift. It seems that once they jump to 37's the lifts get up in the 9-11 inch range. They start to look a little too extreme in that range. Whereas the Dodge's that I've seen with 37's and 5-6 inches of lift look just perfect.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:56 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Drive to Dodge dealer

Pick out shiny new diesel MEGACAB

Sign over first born and best set of dishes

Drive away knowing that you've just bought the BEST truck on earth

It really doesn't get any simpler than that !!

Old 06-27-2007, 09:21 PM
Ben D.
Champion

also when it comes to lifting IFS trucks I think they look just plain silly with those giant drop cross members for the center section of the IFS. not to mention i think that 37"s would be pushing the limit of that IFS escpecily if you start putting more power to em. That is not the case with the 9.25" solid front axle from dodge. also man my dad has owned a GM. It was by far the worst truck we've ever had. It was a stick shift and if you were luggin it along in like 4th gear and just mashed the pedal. You could feel the jerking of the loosness in the drivetrain. Not with his dodge with the six speed. It is smooth the whole time. Also the GMC was terrible as far as the ride went. it was a half ton and so is his dodge and I must say the dodge is very plush. Granted the interior isn't so fancy which I seem to like a lot better because It is a truck I don't need all the fancy interior. but the cloth bench seat is very comfy. and the fold down center will the storage and 12V outlet are great. also make a good armrest just perfrect for me.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:45 PM
rumpumpkin
Rookie

One interesting thing I have noticed is that the GMs list a higher ground clearance than the Dodge. It is a substantial difference at 9.5 front and 11.8 rear on the GMs versus 7.4 front and 7.6 rear on the Dodge. This is straight from the specifications section on their websites. What's up with that? Are there 2 schools of thought as to where exactly you measure?

Old 06-28-2007, 01:41 AM
anthem ss

I've been looking at both trucks too, i do like the power of the Duramax and the "general" look of the GM, i'm looking at a 2WD set up so the IFS isn't a big concern to me. But even in the2WD set up the GM's are very high in the front,The stock rims & tires are 16 inchers and look way too emaciated for such a burly truck.The 2WD Dodge on the other hand sits OK to me, i've driven both trucks & the GM has a "wallow" type ride, like somethings constantly engaging & disengaging. The Dodge has a firmer ride but w/o being harsh, haven't driven one loaded.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:04 AM
Nicky B
Captain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rtoN...ted&search=

I think this video has alittle humor with some cool driving

Old 06-28-2007, 02:25 PM
rumpumpkin
Rookie

Hey Anthem, funny you mention that disengaging/engaging feel on the Chevy. I have an '05 Suburban 3/4t that gives me that seem sensation. I keep checking to see if it somehow slipped into 4hi or Auto 4x4. BTW, looks like we are both owners of 96 Impala's...nice! I guess I need to go with a Dodge truck to maintain the balance.

Hoping to corral all 3 kids and the wife for a test drive this weekend. Will be checking out the GMC and Dodge. Will be sure to put my 8 year old drama queen in the rear center of the GMC so that she can complain about the comfort of that position. The last time we checked out a Dodge Quad Cab, she was all excited about the rear center position because it had cupholders.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:48 AM
anthem ss

It has to be something with that suspension, either the factory shock rebound is weird, coil of the spring, can't pin it but it just feels off. I just traded in my '01 Yukon XL 4WD 1500 (for the 300C) and it didn't have that feeling, probably 'cause it had the "soft" suspension. I think i'll be lurking the dealers too this weekend seeing what's up.
As far as the Impala SS goes, i've wanted one since they first came out & got a chance to pick one up in '98 that was very clean & well taken care of.
Good Luck!!

Quick Reply: Chevy HD's have IFS hahahahhaha