Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Truck shopping

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 01:17 AM
anthem ss
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck shopping

OK guys & gals, I've been lurking for a few weeks, I'm in the market for a truck & i'm new to Daimler Chrysler Products. I just purchased an '06 300C leftover in march & so far it's been good. I had a '79 Chrysler New yorker Fifth ave. in 1981 but we won't go there.
As for the truck - I'm not a Ford guy so i won't entertain the notion of getting a super Duty, I've shopped GM & Dodge and do admit the GM 2500 HD (new body style) is a nice looking truck but it does "seem" to be pricey & the factory wheel & tire setup they give you is puny. I've always liked the look of the dodge since they did the major redesign in '93, the current version looks good to me. This would be my first NEW pick up & i don't need anything crazy, I wouldn't be towing anything monsterous but maybe a car on a trailer or small camper.It would be my daily driver i would opt for a quad cab/crew cab body and short bed, 2WD is fine as i don't go off roading (or desire to) Now i'm left with the BIG QUESTIONS: Do i opt for the 1500 or the 2500? If i go 2500 - do i opt for the gas or the diesel? What are the big benefits if i go diesel - i know they can go 300K miles w/o needing any major engine work. Is the Hemi strong enough to do the occasional work. AND lastly, if it is diesel - I've driven both 5.9 & 6.7 and i do favor the 6.7, i'm all new to this but i did feel a difference between the two and the 6.7 is a little quieter (wife likes that). Where i live is fairly flat but within 20 miles i can get up to 2500-7000 ft elevations,so that's a concern of mine also.
I know i may get some biased responces posting this on the diesel section but to me $35-$45,000 is still a descent amount of money & i do tend to keep vehicles at least 5-8 years so i'm looking to get the best vehicle i can.
Thanks for reading & i look forward to your responces.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:28 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Default RE: Truck shopping

I had both a diesel and a hemi. the hemi is a great gas motor and if you are going to do a lot of short distance driving it might be the way to go. occasional towing it will handle nicely. if 2wd don't have to worry about 4x4 ifs. I would choose diesel for myself, but for your needs it seems the Hemi may be the way to go.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:30 AM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JMHO, the hemi will do what you're asking but you'll get better mileage with the diesel, the 5.9 don't have the DPF to worry about. The diesel will do better at altitude as well, I'm sure somebody else will be along shortly.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:39 AM
jrlaidle
Rookie

I am going through the same agony now myself. I will say that I owned an 06 2500 CTD and couldn't have been happier with it, wish I never would have sold it. I do have to agree with the other posts though, it seems to me like a Hemi would probably be edequate for what you are requiring. It probably would be for me too, but there is something about having the biggest baddest truck on the block that is VERY appealing. Anyway, happy hunting.

J

Old 06-27-2007, 01:50 AM
dtb86001
Professional

Ive owned a 99 1500 4x4 with the 318 never had any problems except RESAIL VALUE on the gas engin. now that i have the Cummins i will never go back to a gasser.
Also diesel where im at is eaven about 10c cheeper that gas right now, probably wont stay that way but with 18 to 20 mpg hand calc. theres no contest. you will pay a little more up front, but the CTD retains it's value better than any truck ive seen.

Besides all that really matters is making the Hemmi eat black smoke.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:51 AM
bksram3500
Record Breaker

the 6.7 get a lot louder after about 2000 miles not sure about the 5.9

Old 06-27-2007, 03:21 AM
speakle
All Star

Hemi will be probably $5-$6k cheaper.
Diesel will get 15-18 mpg city driving after break in, hemi probably max at 12-13
Diesel will get 20-23mpg hwy, hemi likely 15 or so
With gas prices rising diesels are becoming far more popular which is also causing the resale value of the gasoline trucks to plummit, I have purchased 2 CTD in the last year so I have seen this first hand.
If you dont put on many miles, maybe a tank every few weeks then the hemi is likely the way to go. Then again if you only will keep the truck 4-5 years you will get bent over on the sale. I think this really also depends on your financial situation, if you can afford the diesel go for it! As I said, I have recently shopped all over the S.E. US for the best truck prices, new and used, if you have any questions about prices let me know.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:49 AM
Mayfair
Legend

You've been lurking for a week and you STILL decided to post? Sharx usually scares em all away !!

Anyway ... re-sale is what I was going to mention, but my comrades have beaten me to it. maintenance would be the other + in the Cummins collumn.

I know you mentioned the quad cab, but what about the MEGA ?!?!?

[sm=welcomesign.gif]

Old 06-27-2007, 03:53 AM
speakle
All Star

NOT A MANVAN!

Old 06-27-2007, 03:58 AM
bksram3500
Record Breaker

The only thing I don't like about the mega cab is that you can't get them in a long bed dually.

Quick Reply: Truck shopping