Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

You've got to be kidding me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 02:00 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: You've got to be kidding me!!!

ORIGINAL: R0oster31

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

What? My diagnosis techniques amuse you? Just because I disconnected my clutch and took the truck for a test drive with no clutch...
I don't think it's as much "amuse" as it is AMAZE !!

The way your wheels spin and the way you think is AWESOME !!

Old 06-29-2007, 03:05 PM
R0oster31
Veteran

Thanks. I went to school for mechanical engineering, so that may help.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:52 PM
R0oster31
Veteran

The first day my clutch slipped I started looking around. I really liked the way the old clutch felt and didn't want to go with anything that would be grabby but I wanted something a little stronger in case I ever upgrade the turbo and it seems that I'm already at the limit of my current clutch. I think the one I settled on was a double disc from southbend. They are a little more spendy, but they are supposed to keep the same feel I have now and hold up to 600 hp, which I don't see myself ever trying to go past. Any thoughts on these, good or bad experiences? Also is there anything I can do with my old clutch to try to recoup some of the expense?

Old 07-18-2007, 08:42 PM
R0oster31
Veteran

So today I tried and I couldn't get the old clutch to slip. I mean it would slip if I got on it hard for a week and now after a week it won't slip any more? Any reasons? I mean it was hot and muggy today so maybe the motor wasn't making enough power, any other suggestions? On another note I got the south bend double disc sitting on my living room floor waiting to go in.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:06 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Are you sure it was the clutch slipping and not the wheels? I just had to ask causeI never heard of a clutch that slips and then doesn't. Oh well did you inquire if you could send the SBC back? Either way congrats.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:36 PM
finny
All Star

whoa wut? i am confused.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:58 PM
R0oster31
Veteran

Yea, I'm sure it was the clutch. It's a manual 6 speed and it was in 6th every time it happened and on dry pavement, also it wouldn't go straight to red line or anything, just jump from like 1700 to 2200 and the acceleration would drop off sharply, not completely, but sharply. I always got out of it as soon as it happened, longest I let it happen was maybe close to a full second just to make sure it was the clutch. But yea, I agree with you, I have never heard of a clutch slipping and then just not slipping any more, which is why I asked about it. Maybe since it was hot and muggy the truck just wasn't making enough power today, because it slipped on 3 different days maybe 8 times over those 3 days but it was cooler all three of those. I guess I might take it out late tonight after it cools down some and see if it happens.

Quick Reply: You've got to be kidding me!!!