Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

You've got to be kidding me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 05:42 AM
R0oster31
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You've got to be kidding me!!!

So I was driving home from running some errands earlier today and when I went to accelerate hard my clutch slipped. I had just been through a car wash, so I thought maybe the clutch was wet from the under cariage wash (there is a little gap in the bottom of the bell housing). Later I went to a movie with some of my buddies and on the way home it did it again. I've got a southbend in there, I don't know how it was treated before I got the truck but the last 35K have been pretty easy on it. I just don't see how that could be shot. Everyone in my family knows how to drive a semi so I always match the RPM when I shift, heck my old truck I didn't even use the clutch all the time. Is there something that would make it slip besides it being shot? I had my tranny out less than a week ago, couldn't this have happened before that? The only things I could think of were that A) the clutch is shot, B) the front seal on the transmission is leaking oil into the clutch (didn't see any on the flywheel or dripping down through the crack in the bell housing when I crawled under there the first time it happened), C) the clutch release cylinder some how got messed up and is not letting the clutch fully engage. The clutch release cylinder would be the easiest to fix as it doesn't require removal of the transmission. Is there something I am missing? If the clutch is bad what should I replace it with if my truck already ate a 13 inch southbend? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:14 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: You've got to be kidding me!!!

my first guess would be the slave cylinder not releasing fully.

tat SBC should be able to handle alot even shot.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:24 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

check the bolts on the slave cylinder and make sure you dont have any air in the lines...

remember all the work you just did, it is possible something was not torqued down right or has come loose.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:25 PM
R0oster31
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Drew

That's what I thought, so today I first disconnected it and had my little sister pump the clutch. It's not leaking. So I thought I would test out the not realeasing idea, dang dodge and their safety features. I tried to start the truck with the cylinder disconnected and of course they have some safety feature that won't let you do that. So I took it for a drive with some spacers in there so it was a little more than an inch further out, still slipped. So I then found a way to defeat dodge's safety features. I found a nice big hill on a pretty deserted back road and crawled under and disconnected it with the truck running. I figured with it out the clutch had to be fully disengaged. I then let off the parking break and used the hill to get the truck rolling so it would slide into 1st nice. I ran through the gears and then when I got to 6th I punched it, still slips. So the slave cylinder is ruled out, correct?

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

check the bolts on the slave cylinder and make sure you dont have any air in the lines...

remember all the work you just did, it is possible something was not torqued down right or has come loose.
I just unbolted the slave cylinder, never disconnected the lines from it so I don't know how it could have gotten air into it. Is there a way to bleed those lines? All the Hanes and Chilton's manuals say is don't disconnect it from the hose because if you get air in the line there is no way to bleed it. I was worried about that though because there was some pressure pushing out against the slave cylinder when I bolted it back on after the transmission work. As far as torquing something incorrectly the only thing that I could torque that relates to the clutch is where the bell housing bolts to theengine (just holds the shafts aligned and together) and the clutch slave cylinder (if it was loose it should not push against the throwout bearing and not disengage the clutch right?)Is there something else that I could have mistorqued. I'm not trying to sound like I am just disregaurding your input or anything. I don't know these systems that well, I'm just trying to give all the facts to try and get the best advice available.

Thank you for the suggestions so far, I really appreciate any input.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Old 06-28-2007, 07:53 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with all that I would say you must have some oil or grease on the flywheel surface.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:22 PM
R0oster31
Veteran

I thought it might be oil or grease because I've never smelt the clutch in the 35K I've had the truck. Is there an easy way to clean that without taking out the transmission?

Old 06-28-2007, 09:33 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

im sure you already checked but is the blinker fluid low? im no pro but thats a good thing to keep an eye on!

Old 06-28-2007, 09:45 PM
jakebrake
Champion

What material is your clutch? Organic or feramic? If its organic and got oil on it, it'll never come back to life. How did the input shaft on the trans look when you had it out? If the splines were narfed up a bit, It would cause the clutch to hang up.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:27 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

ORIGINAL: R0oster31

ORIGINAL: Drew

That's what I thought, so today I first disconnected it and had my little sister pump the clutch. It's not leaking. So I thought I would test out the not realeasing idea, dang dodge and their safety features. I tried to start the truck with the cylinder disconnected and of course they have some safety feature that won't let you do that. So I took it for a drive with some spacers in there so it was a little more than an inch further out, still slipped. So I then found a way to defeat dodge's safety features. I found a nice big hill on a pretty deserted back road and crawled under and disconnected it with the truck running. I figured with it out the clutch had to be fully disengaged. I then let off the parking break and used the hill to get the truck rolling so it would slide into 1st nice. I ran through the gears and then when I got to 6th I punched it, still slips. So the slave cylinder is ruled out, correct?

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

I just unbolted the slave cylinder, never disconnected the lines from it so I don't know how it could have gotten air into it. Is there a way to bleed those lines? All the Hanes and Chilton's manuals say is don't disconnect it from the hose because if you get air in the line there is no way to bleed it. I was worried about that though because there was some pressure pushing out against the slave cylinder when I bolted it back on after the transmission work. As far as torquing something incorrectly the only thing that I could torque that relates to the clutch is where the bell housing bolts to theengine (just holds the shafts aligned and together) and the clutch slave cylinder (if it was loose it should not push against the throwout bearing and not disengage the clutch right?)Is there something else that I could have mistorqued. I'm not trying to sound like I am just disregaurding your input or anything. I don't know these systems that well, I'm just trying to give all the facts to try and get the best advice available.

Thank you for the suggestions so far, I really appreciate any input.
You didnt torque the pressure plate down??? If the answer is no then stop driving and tear it down again... your plate bolts could be loose and not clamping down on the disk right.

the manual specs 50 ft lbs for 7/16's bolts, 30 ft lbs for 3/8's

Quick Reply: You've got to be kidding me!!!