Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Squeak/rattle....... I'm goin' nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:27 PM
USCGSARdog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeak/rattle....... I'm goin' nuts!

Hey gang. First post from another newbee here. I have an '02 Ram 2500 CTD auto. 4X4 with 105k on the odometer. Recently it has developed a sort of rattle/ squeaking sound coming either from the dash or in the engine compartment near the firewall. It soundslike its coming from the drivers side. Sounds like metal rubbing together but very muffled, almost like a wooden turkey call, if you know what that sounds like. I only hear it after the truck has reached operating temp and when I hit small bumps in the road. Never when the truck is cold.

I have checked the shock mounts and looked for metal lines rubbing on anything in the engine compartment, but everything looks good.

Has anyone here had a similar problem with their truck?

Thanks!

Rob

Old 06-28-2007, 10:34 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default RE: Squeak/rattle....... I'm goin' nuts!

hey Rob, welcome to DF... sounds like it could be a control arm bushing... there are 2 of them right under the firewall on each side, or possibly an engine mount. I had a squeek on a 2nd gen that drove me nuts until I finally realized it was the heat shield for the engine mount. bent it slightly and squeek gone.

merry christmas... https://dodgeforum.com/m_340929/tm.htm

also... https://dodgeforum.com/m_491292/tm.htm

Old 06-28-2007, 11:47 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

my 01 had a squeak on the auto trans linkage where the up/down rod met the back/forth rod. the whole thing rode on plastic bushings that squeaked and drove me nuts. lots of white grease fixed it.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:52 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Welcome to th forum, no helpful advise from me, but welcome.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:43 AM
USCGSARdog

Thanks Steve.... lots of good info there! I hadn't thought of the heat shields. I will take a look tomorrow. As for the control arm bushings, wouldn't they squeak hot or cold? At this point I'm not ruling anything out, I'll take a look at them as well.

Thanks!!!

Rob

Old 06-29-2007, 12:56 AM
USCGSARdog

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. The amount of REAL WORLD knowledge here is amazing. The responses to my question /problem are evidence of that. Everyones response is truly welcomed and appreciated.

I will be checking into all of the possibilities you all have mentioned tomorrow. I will keep you posted on what I find.

Thanks again!

Rob

Old 07-02-2007, 10:57 PM
USCGSARdog
Default RE: Squeak/rattle....... I'm goin' nuts! *UPDATE!*

And the winner is....... dhvaughn!

After a bunch of poking around under my Ram, the rattle/squeeking sound was indeed coming from my auto trans shift linkage. As dhvaughn mentioned, a little white grease and she's good to go. Man am I glad that noise is gone...... now I like my truck again!

Again, thank you for everyones help.

Rob

Old 08-08-2007, 06:04 PM
CDJ161

hey guys, ive actually been reading this forum for a while and saw this thread and figured I would post..[8D]

I have a 2001 Sport QC and I have this squeak as well, I got underneath the truck and had the door slammed open and closed and oh yeah I can hear it coming from the linkage, which I could feel it vibrate too with my hand on it.. So my question is, where would I put this grease to get this to stop. Hell it is so annoying when your driving.. any help great.. thanks guys!

Chris

Old 08-08-2007, 08:36 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: CDJ161
where would I put this grease to get this to stop.
EVERYWHERE !!! but especially on the ends of the horizontal shaft where there's supposed to be some nylon bushings. also any and all parts that touch each other. have an assistant to rock the truck by open door or open hood (so you can get a little better leverage) and get the squeak going. you get undeneath and grease the crap out of everything till it stops. this squeak about drove me crazy.

Quick Reply: Squeak/rattle....... I'm goin' nuts!