Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New guy here, have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 11:15 PM
al5608
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy here, have some questions

Hello all. Just got a new 07 Ram 2500 Quad Cab short bed 4x4, 5.9 with an automatic. Only put a couple of hundred miles on it, but, so far, I love it. This truck isNOT going to be my daily driver. I'll be surprised if I put 5000 miles on it a year. Now that I have it, I have been doing some reading up on things. Seems like the only weak link in this truck is the 48re transmission. Do you guys agree? It's my understanding that this trans replaced the 47re trans in 2003 to handle the HO engine? I read that the 48re is suppose to last 150,000 miles before needing a rebuild, but..... It doesn't seem like people are getting nearly that out of them. I do plan to tow, no more than 8000 lbs, maybe 4 times a year. Should I be worried about anything? I am a maintanence freak. The trans will be serviced regularly. That might be a reason for premature rebuilds, people not doing the preventitive maintanence that is required? I do not plan on doing any mods to the engine to boost power. It has plenty for me. I just want a truck that will last me a long time.The new six speed auto sounds nice, but I didn't want to deal with the emissions crap. I had a diesle mechanic tell me that the 6sp is basically the same trans as the 48re, made by the same company, Aisin, it just has two more gears. And the only reason they put in a six speed is to try and get the milage backup, that all the emsission stuff eats up on the 6.7? Can somebody shed somelight on that?

So I guess my question is. Do I need to worry about this transmission. Do I need to make a habbit of turning off the OD when driving around town? And what exactly is happening when I use the tow/haul mode? If i'm towing on flat ground, can I use the OD? Or should I keep it in tow/haul mode?

Sorry for all the question guys, just a little worried about my new toy.

Thanks, Alan
Portland, Oregon

Old 06-28-2007, 11:20 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: New guy here, have some questions

Hey Alan, Welcome to DF!

if your going to leave it stock, you should not have any issues with the tranny... this of course coming from someone who just had his rebuilt, instead of repaird. I had a 2nd gear band problem of some sorts where the band material was gone by 60k, normal servicing done right and on time. Not sure why there was the problem but instead of fixing it I took it a step farther and had it rebuilt with a heavy duty kit. works like a champ now...

Old 06-28-2007, 11:31 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Welcome.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:40 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Welcome aboard. I think if you read the posts here you'll see that most with tranny problems have larger tires and mods to the engine. I have not read too many trans issues from guys with bone stock trucks who maintain them. As far as how to use the T/H and OD off I would consult your owners manual for final word. My camper is in the 8000 - 9000 lb range and it is not really working the engine that hard.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:50 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

tow haul mode will upshift into OD when towing, it bumps up the line pressures more to hold better under load. when the tranny needs to downshift, it'll downshift. if your in the mtns on a windy road you can leave the OD off if it's hunting back & forth from third to OD...

also, in tow/haul mode, the tranny will downshift sooner when decending a hill, it's actually pretty cool under load. Be happy that you have the OD off feature.... '05's dont have it [:@] I have to wire in a switch...

Old 06-29-2007, 01:32 AM
al5608
Professional

Thanks guys, i'm feeling a little better about the auto trans. Sounds like the problems occur when the engine get's modded. Like anything else, more power, more problems. LOL

Old 06-29-2007, 02:19 AM
moconst
Veteran

Ill be surprised if you dont mod it. I was like that at first too. Welcome to the board!

Old 06-29-2007, 03:40 AM
dtb86001
Professional

I had the deler install a jake brake when i got mine. i usually run in T/H mode with the jake on. that way the TQ converter locks up sooner and the rpms stay a little higher so the jake will slow me down without touching the braks. works real good in rush hour traffic. i just have to keep a little space between me and anyone in front of me.

Quick Reply: New guy here, have some questions