Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Bed Tool Box/Fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 02:50 AM
SF Ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bed Tool Box/Fuel tank

What are your opinions of a bed tool box/fuel tank? I have been thinking of getting a combination tank to store tools and also have a transfer tank so I don't have to fuel as often. Your thoughts and manufacturers to look at?

Old 07-01-2007, 02:57 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker
Default RE: Bed Tool Box/Fuel tank

I have a 105 gal. now and thinking of going with a 150gal.
I can go almost 3,000 mile between refueling.
You fill everything when and where it is cheap.

PS get a "GasBoy" pump they are by far the best available.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:01 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

make sure to buy an ALUMINUM tank. they last a hell of a lot longer than steel.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:53 AM
moconst
Veteran

Only prob is that u loose ur long bed

Old 07-01-2007, 04:57 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

I made my tank so it sits 4" off the floor, I can still get a 4" high stack of 4x8 sheets in the bed.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:06 AM
R3LzX

i have an RDS with 51 gallon and box for tools on topit works for me and is gravity fed

Old 07-01-2007, 05:21 AM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker

ok i know i usually dont post in the diesel section, but i saw this and figured id chime in.

i work at tractor supply, and at least from what ive seen of the transfer tanks there, we have aluminum ones returned pretty frequently due to cracked welds that let the fuel leak out. we have only had one steel tank returned because of leaking and i think the guy tried to do something to it because it was all banged up and the paint was all sanded off. but if youre interested we have a 74 gallon transfer tank with a toolbox (not sure of the cubic feet) for $764.xx. and that is an aluminum tank. we also have a 105 gallon L-shaped tank so that you can buy your own toolbox to set on top if you want and its $461.xx i believe, im not positive on that price. and if you want to carry extra fuel, but dont want to lose alot of your bed space, you can geta 36 gallon vertical tank that isonly about 8-10 inches wide, so youll still have over 7feet of bedspace.

i know you probably dont live in my area and wont be buying from my store, so please dont think im just trying to drum up business, im just tryin to give you a few ideas and some ball park figures for the prices. if you want to know any more prices, just PM me and ill check for you. and if you do wantto buy from tractor supply, then let me know and ill give you a list of stores in your state so you can find the closest one.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:58 PM
ga_noplugs

ORIGINAL: Captain Squalus

I made my tank so it sits 4" off the floor, I can still get a 4" high stack of 4x8 sheets in the bed.
You have pics of that setup? I'd like to see it.

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 07-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Ralph78
Professional

ORIGINAL: SF Ram

What are your opinions of a bed tool box/fuel tank? I have been thinking of getting a combination tank to store tools and also have a transfer tank so I don't have to fuel as often. Your thoughts and manufacturers to look at?
I have a "Transfer Flow Inc." Combination tool box and 65 Gallon AUX tank in the bed. Transfer Flow is located in Chico CA. and their number is 1-800-442-0056.
I have an older unit installed in 1998 or 1999. The new systems are setup with a digital fuel system moniter and feed the main fuel tank direct. I would go for the 50 gallon as they are shorter. My 65 gallon unit is 19.5 inches high, and 29.75 inches back from the front of the bed. The tool box is approximately 9 inches deep. I believe the combination with a 50 gallon tank is only 23 inches back from the front of the bed. I am not going to change my tank to the smaller one due to cost.

Remember, the larger the AUX fuel tank, the more weight you carry around and the lower milage you get. Running with my AUX tank full, reduces by milage by .5 mpg. (Hand Calculated over many checks.)

The "Transfer Flow" Tanks are Al. and seem to be very well built. The only drawback is that they are pricy.

I am sure others will have a number of options so you can take your pick based on price, features, and quality.

Ralph

Old 07-01-2007, 07:20 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: Johndcjr1989

i work at tractor supply, and at least from what ive seen of the transfer tanks there, we have aluminum ones returned pretty frequently due to cracked welds that let the fuel leak out.
my nieghbor who drives a 3/4t ford diesel had the steel tank, it rotted out. costs more to replace the bottom pan than buyin a new aluminum over the internet for $750.

his aluminum tank has givin him no head aches. he drives grader for a road construction company.

take your time when deciding. if you can, purchase an electric pump for it. some of the guys around here just use an electric or hand pump to fill the truck when low.

Quick Reply: Bed Tool Box/Fuel tank