Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 11:45 AM
stewtina
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.7

My best friend just purchased an 07 megacab loaded with everything but without nav system. he loves it but the mileage is erratic to say the least. between 70 and 80 he gets 25 mpg but 65 and 70 he gets 13mpg. then he tried 60 and got 28 mpg. i told him to just drive 80 every where. the only place he drives 80 all the time would be on i-10 west of kerrville and thats the speed limit. he is a 2 oclock 10 oclock driver. he said he also hates the leather so he is getting king ranch leather put into it.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Joel_MD
Captain
Default RE: 6.7

ORIGINAL: stewtina

My best friend just purchased an 07 megacab loaded with everything but without nav system. he loves it but the mileage is erratic to say the least. between 70 and 80 he gets 25 mpg but 65 and 70 he gets 13mpg. then he tried 60 and got 28 mpg. i told him to just drive 80 every where. the only place he drives 80 all the time would be on i-10 west of kerrville and thats the speed limit. he is a 2 oclock 10 oclock driver. he said he also hates the leather so he is getting king ranch leather put into it.
You could go crazy trying to track fuel economy using the overhead display. The only useful way to look at MPG is to calculate it on paper (or with a computer spreadsheet) every time you fuel up.

I created an Excel spreadsheet that I use to track fuel purchases and MPG. I will share it if anyone is interested.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

I do the exact same, not only do I track mileage, but which station and what kind of driving conditions, (i.e. Highway, towing, in town and mixed) There is also a running average tally...

Old 07-03-2007, 12:27 PM
firemansdodge
Professional

If he hand calculates and does not go off the overhead lie guage. He'll be shocked from the 28mpg reading to about 16-18mpg (highway) when you hand calculate.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:28 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I am getting 15.5 hand calculated that was round trip from phoenix to tucson at average 85 mph's at temps of 110 farenhiet and above.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:34 PM
Silverline
Veteran

I agree with firemansdodge...the lie-o-meter isn't very reliable at all...hand calculating is by far the best way to find out just what your truck is getting for mileage. About the only thing I use the overhead display for is to try and get myself not to put my foot in the fuel too much when towing and to try and max out the mileage as much as I can.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:02 PM
FroneDaddy
Captain

ORIGINAL: hildenja

You could go crazy trying to track fuel economy using the overhead display. The only useful way to look at MPG is to calculate it on paper (or with a computer spreadsheet) every time you fuel up.

I created an Excel spreadsheet that I use to track fuel purchases and MPG. I will share it if anyone is interested.
I would like to get a copy of that for me to use

Old 07-03-2007, 03:53 PM
stewtina
Veteran

From his town of jourdanton to san antonio its about 60 miles. he was testing it at 60 mph and hand calculted 28 mpg

Old 07-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

Here is the Excel worksheet I created to track fuel purchases, miles traveled, and maintenance. I saved it on my Ripway account, so youcan access it with a hyperlink. You should be able to right-click and save it to your PC. http://h1.ripway.com/hildenja/2007RamFuelMaint_copy.xls

The cells with the blue font are the ones where you need to input something. The ones in black are formulas that will calculate automatically. You should be able to delete the data I entered for my Ram. I put "protection" on the sheet so the formulas can't be accidently deleted. If you want to make changes just go to 'Tools,' 'Protection,' 'Unprotect Sheet...' No password is needed.

Llet me know if you have any questions.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

From his town of jourdanton to san antonio its about 60 miles. he was testing it at 60 mph and hand calculted 28 mpg
We must be talking about two different definitions of "hand calculate." How do you hand calculate your instant fuel economy while driving 60 mph? I don't get it.