Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Straight from the mouth of a Duramax owner!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 07:54 AM
Bigriver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Straight from the mouth of a Duramax owner!

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

What did that job set you back River ?
My total amount paid to the shop was around $7200.00, which included: Transmisson listed at $5900.00 Part Description 2004.5-07 Dodge Ram 4WD, Stage 4 Auto Trans Package. Includes: - ATS Built 48-RE Auto Trans
- ATS 5 Star Viskus Clutch Drive Torque Converter
- ATS CoPilot Torque Converter Lock-Up Controller
- ATS Extra Deep Transmission Pan
- ATS Billet Input Shaft
- ATS Billet Flex Plate Installation of transmisson, shipping (new one from Co to MS, old one back to CO), installation of my Isspro gauges and taxes. I can see that I was given a slight break somewhere, though it was a hell of alot of dough. I'm a bit embarassed to have decided to replace a perfectly good working transmisson, but with what I was doing, I truely didn't want to have a failure at the worse possible time. Ya ever hear the phrase: its better to change it at your convienence rather than your inconvinence.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:09 PM
dieselram
Captain

ORIGINAL: Bigriver

Oh Yeah Dude, I figured that I'd bust the biggest nut first and get it over with. I wasn't having any problems yet.........We've got some long distance travel plans coming up on July 25, and broke down on the plains of Kansas with my wife and kids in tow wasn't a pretty thought. I know, I probably could have put it off till later, but I see it as prevenitive maintinence. Remember now, ya can't steal it, but ya can still come on down with some forum riders for Mardi Gras and drive it like ya stole it!

That is the sexiest thing I've seen in years (which says all kinds of wierd things about me).

The biggest complaint I get from Ford and Chevy guys are that the back seat is too small (not a mega cab). It doesn't bother me since I'm driving, but if thats the worst thingabout a dodge:[sm=happy046.gif]

Old 07-07-2007, 12:58 PM
savage.basher

My brother worked at walmart, in theoil change part. He was even the manager for 2-3 years in texas, then he quit because he couldn't stand tryin to watch over all of the dumb a$$es that worked there. Anyway long story short... he has sat in / driven / looked under the hood / looked under the body of more cars and trucks than anyone I know. From his first hand experience the chevys and fords on average do not last as long as the dodges (interior,body,engine,etc.). In texas he said that there was alot of diesels, and all the real serious guys that USED their trucks always had RAMs, no questions about it.

oh yeah, don't ever get your oil changed at walmart.... I woud never take my truckthere, but I did on occasion take my car there (not any more though since he quit and can't do the change himself.) He has told me some pretty rediculous storys about stuff that has happened there (none of which he did personally), it is hard to believe that someone could actully drain the oil from a car and then not put any more in it (on more than one occasion), or not tighten the lug nuts after you rotate the tires.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Did you say OIL CAHNGE ???

Turn your sound UP kiddies !!

http://break.com/index/drive_through...one_wrong.html

Old 07-07-2007, 01:50 PM
sharx ram
Champion

ORIGINAL: dieselram

Oh Yeah Dude, I figured that I'd bust the biggest nut first and get it over with. I wasn't having any problems yet.........We've got some long distance travel plans coming up on July 25, and broke down on the plains of Kansas with my wife and kids in tow wasn't a pretty thought. I know, I probably could have put it off till later, but I see it as prevenitive maintinence. Remember now, ya can't steal it, but ya can still come on down with some forum riders for Mardi Gras and drive it like ya stole it!

That is the sexiest thing I've seen in years (which says all kinds of wierd things about me).

The biggest complaint I get from Ford and Chevy guys are that the back seat is too small (not a mega cab). It doesn't bother me since I'm driving, but if thats the worst thingabout a dodge:[sm=happy046.gif]
Well I'll give em that...while waiting for a tow truck you should have room to take a nap comfortably. But the Dodge was built to drive but if I ever spend time waiting for a tow truck Dodge is going to get a nasty letter "re: the lack of back seat room". But from what I can tell they already know this and have adapted to it by building a better truck than those other guys [8D]

Old 07-07-2007, 01:59 PM
savage.basher

nice mayfair...

I don't think that ever happened to him, most of the time he worked there they only had lifts (which could probably be just as bad ).

Old 07-08-2007, 01:58 AM
Ralph78
Professional

My total amount paid to the shop was around $7200.00, which included: Transmisson listed at $5900.00 Part Description 2004.5-07 Dodge Ram 4WD, Stage 4 Auto Trans Package. Includes: - ATS Built 48-RE Auto Trans
- ATS Billet Input Shaft
- ATS Billet Flex Plate Installation of transmisson, shipping (new one from Co to MS, old one back to CO), installation of my Isspro gauges and taxes. I can see that I was given a slight break somewhere, though it was a hell of alot of dough. I'm a bit embarassed to have decided to replace a perfectly good working transmisson, but with what I was doing, I truely didn't want to have a failure at the worse possible time. Ya ever hear the phrase: its better to change it at your convienence rather than your inconvinence.
Big River, you did the right thing. I have the ATS with a billet input shaft and the 5 Star TC. My truck already had the ATS commander lockup controller and a big Al. pan. The ATS setup really makes a different truck out of it. I really like the lockup controller. It is great knowing that I can tow anything I want up any hill and not have anything to worry about relative to the transmission / TC combo.

Remember, ATS requires that the trans be serviced BY A SHOP every 15,000 miles for the Wt. to be honored. I had mine changed at a local shop that knows their "STUFF" about beefed up transmissions. The fluid really looked bad, yet the transmission temp. runs about 180 when towing, and only occ. hits 200-210 for a short time when in stop and go traffic on a hot day. So it looks like ATS really knows what they are talking about with the 15,000 change interval. I had the shop fill out the ATS form, and faxed it to ATS.

Remember to have the shop pull the TC bottom access cover and drain the TC. The ATS 5 Star has a drain plug. Also be sure to have the service rep support the trans pan. The pan is heavy and if they just leave one or two bolts loosly attached, the pan can swing down and the weight of the pan + trans. fluid will break off the pan at the bolts.

Ralph

Old 07-08-2007, 09:39 AM
Bigriver

ORIGINAL: Ralph78

- ATS Billet Input Shaft
Big River, you did the right thing. I have the ATS with a billet input shaft and the 5 Star TC. My truck already had the ATS commander lockup controller and a big Al. pan. The ATS setup really makes a different truck out of it. I really like the lockup controller. It is great knowing that I can tow anything I want up any hill and not have anything to worry about relative to the transmission / TC combo.

Remember, ATS requires that the trans be serviced BY A SHOP every 15,000 miles for the Wt. to be honored. I had mine changed at a local shop that knows their "STUFF" about beefed up transmissions. The fluid really looked bad, yet the transmission temp. runs about 180 when towing, and only occ. hits 200-210 for a short time when in stop and go traffic on a hot day. So it looks like ATS really knows what they are talking about with the 15,000 change interval. I had the shop fill out the ATS form, and faxed it to ATS.

Remember to have the shop pull the TC bottom access cover and drain the TC. The ATS 5 Star has a drain plug. Also be sure to have the service rep support the trans pan. The pan is heavy and if they just leave one or two bolts loosly attached, the pan can swing down and the weight of the pan + trans. fluid will break off the pan at the bolts.

Ralph
Hey Ralph, Yes, I 've read the warrenty information regarding the transmisson. I guess the money pit never ends eh? But I realize that its for a good thing, I want to protect my investment. I contacted ATS, and told them that I use Amsoil Synthetic ATF, so would I still have to follow the schedule? Dumb question. Well ya know that answer to that one. About the temps........I now have two gauges for the transmisson. First came along the Isspro gauge, that is mounted into the pan itself. I now also have the Edge / Attitude set. The Attutde's transmisson readings are being fed from the truck's computer. I've notice about a 20 degree difference at times. The pan temps are lower, suppose it's reading the main body of fluid, while the computer reading shows higher. I 'm guessing that those temp readings are either inside a smaller internal componet or possibly near the transfer tube going to the cooler up front. In the first week of June, I loaded up the family and 5'ver for a week in Branson, MO. Going thru the Ozarks, I saw the temps on the transmisson reaching as high as 185 degrees. I didn't have the Edge / Attitude then, so that was with the cooler reading sender. I'm wondering how I should utilize this information. ShouldIthink of the working temp being somewhere between the two numbers I see, or just take the highest and rely on that? Regardless theCummins /ATS pulled like a mule without as much as a hic-up. Like ole'Triton and Sharxlikelysays,...........If yosgonna plays, yas gotz ta PAY....Opps, sorry guys, the Naw' lens coming out in me!

Quick Reply: Straight from the mouth of a Duramax owner!