Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Straight from the mouth of a Duramax owner!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Twoforme2
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Straight from the mouth of a Duramax owner!

I could not resist repeating this.

Am here on vacation in Idaho and this morning in the RV park the guy in the next space over says, "nice truck"...I reply "thanks"...he asks"Has that thing got thecummings?" (yes, note the G) I kinda grin and say "YUP".
He says "I used to have aDodge with the Cummings (againwith the freakin G) before I got thisDuramax and I think the Cummings was a better motor, it seemed to have more 'stuff' when pulling the trailerthan the Duramax does, its amazing they can do that with only 6 cylinders."
After talking a bit I find out he tradedthe Dodgefor theChevy because the tranny slipped once going over a hill.

See not all Chevy owners think Dodge sucks, some realize the error in their ways.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:43 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Default RE: Straight from the mouth of a Duramax owner!

A supervisor here has a 2007 duralacks 1 ton, he and I go back and forth all the time the only arguement he has is that his rig is more luxurius inside then my laramine, I can agree with him on that, but he says he wishes he had a solid front and cummins. He does brag about the allison however I would much rather have the ats personally. Either way some people are not ignorant and can admit there vehicles short comings.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Bigriver

Hey Jimmy and Twoforme2, Before buying my Mega, I had owned GM gassers since the early eighties. I also have a GM mastercard, that after some years of use, discount dollars are compliled for the time of purchase of a new GM product. Usually at the end of the year, these discounts can go as high as $3000.00 after your best deal is negociated. Needless to say, I had alot of reasons to buy a GM diesel truck. I checked out the Chevys, test drove a Ford(which was loud and steering wheel shook like crazy), and looked at the Dodges. I found that the exterior looks are better on the Dodge, Ford was OK, but the Chevy had small wheels and tires, and the frame was visable. No good. The interior on the Dodge had good appeal to me with the Mega rear seating, along with the seat folding flat, unlike the Ford or Chevy. A chassisis achassis, though the Dodge has a box frame. I'm not sure about the others. The engines....Ford Power Strokes, I've heard nothing but bad news on them. The Duramax, not much better, and alot worse since joining this forum. Our beloved Cummins........well no more needs to be said. Tranmissions......Ford, I don't have much enthusiasim, the Chevy allison, about their only saving grace. Our 48 RE's, well it's likely our weakest link. OK with all that said, ( Whew! ) the body you can't change, nor the engines. Our transmissions? Yup, we can always upgrade that componet.............which I did and I truely feel that I have the VERY best ofall three diesel truck manufatures. (and thank you for letting me get that off my chest)

Old 07-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Mayfair
Legend

You already put a brand new tranny in your brand new rig? [:-]

Old 07-06-2007, 11:49 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

ORIGINAL: Bigriver

Hey Jimmy and Twoforme2, Before buying my Mega, I had owned GM gassers since the early eighties. I also have a GM mastercard, that after some years of use, discount dollars are compliled for the time of purchase of a new GM product. Usually at the end of the year, these discounts can go as high as $3000.00 after your best deal is negociated. Needless to say, I had alot of reasons to buy a GM diesel truck. I checked out the Chevys, test drove a Ford(which was loud and steering wheel shook like crazy), and looked at the Dodges. I found that the exterior looks are better on the Dodge, Ford was OK, but the Chevy had small wheels and tires, and the frame was visable. No good. The interior on the Dodge had good appeal to me with the Mega rear seating, along with the seat folding flat, unlike the Ford or Chevy. A chassisis achassis, though the Dodge has a box frame. I'm not sure about the others. The engines....Ford Power Strokes, I've heard nothing but bad news on them. The Duramax, not much better, and alot worse since joining this forum. Our beloved Cummins........well no more needs to be said. Tranmissions......Ford, I don't have much enthusiasim, the Chevy allison, about their only saving grace. Our 48 RE's, well it's likely our weakest link. OK with all that said, ( Whew! ) the body you can't change, nor the engines. Our transmissions? Yup, we can always upgrade that componet.............which I did and I truely feel that I have the VERY best ofall three diesel truck manufatures. (and thank you for letting me get that off my chest)
Amen, and nice ride.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Bigriver

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

You already put a brand new tranny in your brand new rig? [:-]
Oh Yeah Dude, I figured that I'd bust the biggest nut first and get it over with. I wasn't having any problems yet.........We've got some long distance travel plans coming up on July 25, and broke down on the plains of Kansas with my wife and kids in tow wasn't a pretty thought. I know, I probably could have put it off till later, but I see it as prevenitive maintinence. Remember now, ya can't steal it, but ya can still come on down with some forum riders for Mardi Gras and drive it like ya stole it!

Old 07-06-2007, 12:03 PM
Bigriver

Thanks Jimmy..........I'm in good company here!

Old 07-06-2007, 12:07 PM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

I believe the new 68RFE is every bit as good as the Allison transmissions and, only time will tell on this, but possibly superior. Just wait until the aftermarket comes up with a kit to help do 68RFE swaps onto the old 5.9 engines. Imgaine what a combo that will be.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I remembered seeing the pan, but I never put 2+2 together and realized that the pan was attached to a new tranny. I remembered saying to myself " DAMN .... Dodge is painting their tranny's now "?

Soooooo .... how much room do you have at your crib for the Mardi Gras festivities ??

Old 07-06-2007, 01:37 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

ORIGINAL: DiEseLjunKy

I believe the new 68RFE is every bit as good as the Allison transmissions and, only time will tell on this, but possibly superior. Just wait until the aftermarket comes up with a kit to help do 68RFE swaps onto the old 5.9 engines. Imgaine what a combo that will be.
That would be nice. a 6 speed would sit nicely in my 05.

Quick Reply: Straight from the mouth of a Duramax owner!