Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Exhaust, EGT, Guages question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 04:23 AM
Sereguial
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust, EGT, Guages question

Reading up on a lot of the threads I have seen a pattern: Get guages and do exhaust to lower EGT's.
Outside of EGT what other guages do you recommend, and where do you find them? I have a '03 HO CTD with NV5600, little over 100k and has Cold Air Intake. Is the Edge system worth the money, I know it has quite a few guages integrated, but is it worth it over say the Banks Six Gun?
Also the biggest thing is what to do with the Exhaust, as many of you already know the '03+CTD are MUCH quieter then the earlier ones... Well I am not one for caring about noise (except if the law cares too much...), but I don't want something that will give me a headache on LONG hauls. Any recommendations on size (4", 5" etc.), how about muffler choice? I have no issues cutting/welding, or any other fabrications, so cheapest would be best.
Thanks in advance!!!

Old 07-08-2007, 08:35 AM
CamperAndy
Rookie
Default RE: Exhaust, EGT, Gauges question

Fuel pressure gauge between the filter and the injector pump is a must.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:42 AM
kg1687
Veteran

You might want to consider straight piping, and if you don't want that extreme you can try to find someone who's going to get rid of one of their mufflers or just buy the muffler. I have an 03 ctd as well and it came without the catalytic convertor (some have em, i've seen a couple, not sure what year they really started coming out) and was really really quiet. So my buddy wanted to trade his banks monster exhaust for straight piping so i bought the pipe and helped him take his out (just sawazalled in the front and on the back of it a little bit.) then cut my muffler out, took a small piece of the pipe he didn't use, cut a couple lines, made a reducer from 4' to 3 1/2', becuase your muffler starts out 3 1/2 before muffler (from turbo) and after the muffler it ends up 4', you might want to look at flow pro, I like my banks exhaust but I just don't think it's loud enough. What about the pyrometer and boost pressure guages, Is your truck an auto? if so maybe trans temp?

Old 07-08-2007, 09:51 AM
donnie
Professional

What worked for me on my 05 was I installed a MBRP replacement muffler and left the cat.
It sounds great and at hiway speed is as quiet as the stock.
I also put an Amsoil dropin filter and between the two I dropped the EGT about 50*.
As far as the gauges are concerned, Iv got Isspro and like the way they look.
EGT, boost and fuel pressure should work as you have a stick.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Sereguial
Professional

I am confused... what is the fuel pressure guage for? I know that EGT is to keep an eye on it and make sure it stays less then 1400F right? As for boost, that seems more for personal knowledge (keeping the turbo spooled up) right? But for the fuel pressure guage, what would the indication give you? Obviously it would tell you if it is too low and indicate a problem with the fuel system, but beyond that what else would it do for you? And what range would you expect it in?

Also, I was looking at the Edge Products, and exhaust, and I AM SOOOO LOST!!! I know my engine is a HO engine, which is 325/610 for 2003 right? Well, Edge has only 2003 in 305 (highest) and then 2004 is 600/610.Also,all the exhaust systems seem to be2003-2004and 2004.5-2006...I realize that the HOwas an optionin 2003, but it seems thatmostaftermarket companies do not recognize this. Is there that much of a difference in theExhaust system? I guess what I am worried about is getting an exhaust setup or Edge product that doesn't work with my engine, andwaist money on something that may put my truck out of commission.
Thanks for all thehelp!

Old 07-08-2007, 07:00 PM
dieselram
Captain

EGT- Manage exhaust temps
Boost- ensure pressures are within limits and nothing is leaking
Fuel pressure- keeps an eye on the lift pump. lift goes = injection pump goes = $$$$
tranny temp (auto)- tranny goes = $$$$

all the gauges are to give you a warning if something is wrong so you know before the problem becomes expensive or leaves you stranded far from home (Murphy's law)

Old 07-08-2007, 07:06 PM
dieselram
Captain

As far as exhaust, whenI was talking to a dealer when I bought my duals, he said the 03+ turbos (stock and aftermarket) have the same flanges so if I decided to change turbos, the DP would still mate up.

Check the plate on the drivers side of the engine; it will tell you what engine you have (the torque is the series).

Old 07-08-2007, 09:14 PM
Sereguial
Professional

Thank you!!! I found out more about my truck then I have ever in just one hint! I have the ISB 305, which looks to be the 305hp/555ftlbs. I also found some products that seem like decent deals and would work on my truck. Does anyone have any opinions on the following exhaust (5" Expandit Aluminized Exhaust):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...850&rd=1,1

Also, does anyone have the Edge Attitude Pillar mount for the 2003+ model truck? I want to see what that looks like installed.

THANKS AGAIN!!! You guys have been a GREAT help!!!

Old 07-08-2007, 10:42 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

that dosent sounds like a bad deal for those pipes but when i put mine on, and im sure this was all for a higher sale but i was told several times that aluminized will be cheaper but if you live where the winters get snow...the salt on the roads will start to rot away the pipe after a few years... thats just what i heard so i bought stainless because of michigans winters..

Quick Reply: Exhaust, EGT, Guages question