Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Heater grid delete?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 10:54 PM
dieselram
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater grid delete?

I found this on Ebay (first time I've seen it) and I was wondering if anyone had input:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...86768&rd=1

They say it starts, even in cold winter temps, but I don't think the added air temp drop is worth the risk.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:10 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker
Default RE: Heater grid delete?

If you live were it never gets cold it would be ok.
The price is on the high side.
Mass produced it should be $20 to $30
One off machine shop made about $50
It would give you better airflow but I believe his HP gain claims are exagerated.
As far as faster cool down the differance would be so slim that in the real world it would not make any differance.
So far nobody has fallen for his claims and bought one.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:21 AM
kg1687
Veteran

I don't see why it wouldn't start in colder tempteratures. Maybe run a littler rougher for a bit until it warmed up. But I don't know a whole lot about the cummins specific needs. Mainly due to the fact that I was always around old 7.3's and I owned a 6.9. The block heater on it didn't work and the glow plugs were warn, but I could fire it up in the dead of winter at 5:00 a.m. It was approx 20 degrees when I had to do that everymorning. Fired right up. Smoked like a beast. Didn't run very smooth till it got a little warmed up. but she ran. I loved that truck. Probably the most p.o.s. truck I ever owned but it was the first diesel I ever owned. In our trucks we have some gauges and we need more. In that old truck. I had my speedo. And somtimes my gas gauge worked. Oil pressure really didn't work. voltage readout didn't work. The temperature gauge never worked. Heater was broke. Radio worked if you hit the top of the dash enough times! But that truck was awesome. Oh yea and it had really really bad brakes. Don't know why I loved it.....

Old 07-30-2007, 02:32 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

in cold temps a diesle needs a source of heat to start ie: glow plugs, block heater or an intake air heater with out this secondary heat source the temp in the combustion chamber will not get hot enough to inight the fuel charge.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:37 AM
kg1687
Veteran

I c. Is that thing they take out, is that the heating element?

Old 07-30-2007, 02:39 AM
kg1687
Veteran

Oh Btw, they'll still start up in cold temps, Just not very smoothly! Or quickly. Pretty sure it's not healthy. But hey. It still works! Just like tie wiring your entire exhaust system up because you didnt add any connectors to the stock ones when you straight pipe it! Not very effective. Breaks at times. But hey It works for a while! Kinda..... Kinda funny when the tip onthey're exhaust is all torn apart due to the fact that the free way surface at 90mph is like a grinding wheel!

Old 07-30-2007, 02:41 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: kg1687

I c. Is that thing they take out, is that the heating element?
Yep the intake air heater is what they are deleting.

In the past I have used a lit propane torch aimed at the air intake to get one started in cold weather.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:49 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: kg1687

Oh Btw, they'll still start up in cold temps, Just not very smoothly! Or quickly. Pretty sure it's not healthy. But hey. It still works! Just like tie wiring your entire exhaust system up because you didnt add any connectors to the stock ones when you straight pipe it! Not very effective. Breaks at times. But hey It works for a while! Kinda..... Kinda funny when the tip onthey're exhaust is all torn apart due to the fact that the free way surface at 90mph is like a grinding wheel!
I see you have never been around diesles in the dead of winter up north.
I've been around them for over 40 years and right now have 52 pieces of diesle equipment.

Quick Reply: Heater grid delete?