Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

4 wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:51 AM
clhaney
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 wheel drive

My new Dodge Ram 2500 CTD is my first 4x4 truck so I need some advice or education. Being from Houston, Texas, most of you know from the news we are soaked with the continuous rains we are having. YesterdayI needed to hook up my horse trailer which was out in the muddy pasture so I thought this was great, I could use my 4x4 option. I put the truck in 4 wheel drive, went out in the pasture hooked up and pulled right out with no problem,I thought that was great. Now the question, when I pulled out and on to the pavement, still in 4 wheel drive, you have to make a fairly sharp turn. During this turn,I thought the front end of my truck was falling out from under me! It's hard to describe but it felt like the power steering was going out, each wheel was going it's own direction, etc. WhenI straightened out, it was normal again so I immediately returned to 2 wheel drive. Are tighter turns not allowed in a 4 wheel drive or only not on pavement?

Educate me please..

Thanks

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, CTD, Auto, 4X4, Lone Star edition

Old 07-30-2007, 09:56 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Default RE: 4 wheel drive

You are right, on pavement 4 wheel drive is not a happy camper. it is basically designed for low to no traction area's to allow a little spin if needed.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:38 AM
savage.basher

Are the diff's actually locked in either 4wd high or low? Also, the transfer case is always locked, sending the same to the front and back no matter what in 4wd, right? I always wanted to know this but I didn't want to ask such a stupid rookie question, oh well [:@].

Old 07-30-2007, 09:27 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

ORIGINAL: savage.basher

Are the diff's actually locked in either 4wd high or low? Also, the transfer case is always locked, sending the same to the front and back no matter what in 4wd, right? I always wanted to know this but I didn't want to ask such a stupid rookie question, oh well [:@].
Four wheel drive doesn't really have anything to do with the differentials; you can have open diffs, posi, lockers, whatever. It's all about the transfer case. Unlike some other 4WD makers, our wheel hubs have no provision to unlock so the axles and driveshafts are turning whether you are in 2WD or 4WD. When the transfer case shifts into 4WD it locks the front and rear drive shafts so they both have to turn atthe same speed. Having both shafts turning the same speed is fine until you try a tight turn. On a slippery surface the tires will slip a little and it kinda feels like you're sliding through the turn. On dry pavement the tires grip too well, and the axles and shafts will "wind up" like a spring untila tire finally slips or something breaks.

Quick Reply: 4 wheel drive