Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

98 12V- Made Big Expensive Mistake

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 06:06 PM
refloyd
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 98 12V- Made Big Expensive Mistake

there is also a little line that goes from the AFC to the head that you could possibly check to make sure it is not leaking. It is a boost line. Like Drew said also check your timing. It could have slipped some., but when mine slipped it was hard to get started.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Don't bail on it !!!!

You've got the top of the line diesel truck sitting out there, now you just need to find a top of the line mechanic as well. If Diesel Demon wasn't all cripped up I'm sure he could point you in the right direction since he knows 12 valves like the back of his sewn up hand. Be patient, you'll get it right.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:49 PM
pakee001

It sounds like your mechanic backed off the star wheel, meaning that somebody before you had increased it. I wonder if that previous mechanic/owner had also messed with the fuel plate. Maybe they did a modification instead of buying a plate, and did a bad job? It may be a good idea to see what your fuel plate is and that it is set properly. Also, the truck may have previously seen high exhaust gas temperatures (egt's) that did some damage. Has the mechanic checked the compression?

I echo what has already been said. Cummins 12 valves are famous for their amazing performance. Everything is mechanical so pick up at a minimum an egt gauge to help you get the best feel for what your truck is doing. Our construction business ran two 5 speed 12 valves for over 250,000 miles each and they always ran great, and definately had more power than a 95 powerstroke. Good luck.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Silverline
Veteran

A #10 plate is a pretty big step from the straight stock plate. It could be that its a little too aggressive for what you're looking for at the moment.

Quick Reply: 98 12V- Made Big Expensive Mistake