Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Joel_MD
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: synthetic Oil

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

Do you really think there's THAT big of a difference price wise?

Rotella T is about 8.88 a gallon ( round it off to 9.00 ) X 3 = 27 + 15 for an oil filter = 42 bucks

That Amsoil stuff is about8 bucks a QUART isn't it?

8 X 12 = 96 + 15 for filter = 111.00

Even if I did the Amsoil stuff every 10K and continued to do the regular old stuff every 5K I'm STILL ahead 27 bucks
Mayfair, these are the prices I pay for Amsoil:

DEO 5W-40 CJ-4 synthetic diesel oil - $21.90/gal
HDD 5W-30 CI-4 synthetic diesel oil - $29.15/gal
AME 15W-40 CI-4 synthetic diesel oil - $19.80/gal
PCO 15W-40 CI-4 synthetic blend diesel oil - $17.10

For my last oil change I paid about $88 for three gallons of DEO and a Donaldson Endurance filter from Amsoil.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:24 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

ORIGINAL: Drew

the amsoil site does list the 1 gallon jugs as being $25.70, however with the prefered customer program you can get that same gallon for $21. so while that is $63 for oil and another $15 for the filter soI'mlooking at $78.

I was also thinking about the disposal as well. . .but since your buddy uses it at heating oil. . .he should kick you back a few bucks
Don't forget that the "preferred customer" status will cost you $20 extra per year........

Dusty

Old 08-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dustyloins

ORIGINAL: Drew

the amsoil site does list the 1 gallon jugs as being $25.70, however with the prefered customer program you can get that same gallon for $21. so while that is $63 for oil and another $15 for the filter soI'mlooking at $78.

I was also thinking about the disposal as well. . .but since your buddy uses it at heating oil. . .he should kick you back a few bucks
Don't forget that the "preferred customer" status will cost you $20 extra per year........

Dusty
which I think I'm due to pay again[8D]

Old 08-02-2007, 11:09 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

When you drive 4000+ miles a month, you get sick of changing your oil every 4-5 weeks. It doesn't cost that much more and the quality is much better.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:55 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

Rotella T is about 8.88 a gallon ( round it off to 9.00 ) X 3 = 27 + 15 for an oil filter = 42 bucks

Even if I did the Amsoil stuff every 10K and continued to do the regular old stuff every 5K I'm STILL ahead 27 bucks
how bout that oil thats is CUMMINS approved? dang if I can remember the name..napa stocks it. has the big C on the front from cummins...

My truck is too far aged to run synth.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:04 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

check this info out...

http://www.dieselworldmag.com/content/view/40/36/

Old 08-03-2007, 02:20 AM
cracker
Rookie

ORIGINAL: bajafun

how bout that oil thats is CUMMINS approved? dang if I can remember the name..napa stocks it. has the big C on the front from cummins...

My truck is too far aged to run synth.

That is exactly why I chose to use the Valvoline Premium Blue Synthetic. Cummins approved it and puts the big "C" right on the front of the jug!! Plus I can get it at Napa instead of joining a oil fan club or running down a dealer. Just my oppinion.

This full synthetic engine oil is formulated with high-quality synthetic base stocks and a boosted additive system to help meet the demands of modern diesel engines that operate under a wide variety of service conditions.
Premium Blue Extreme was put through rigorous testing with Cummins Inc. It delivers outstanding engine cleanliness, reduced wear, oil consumption control and fuel economy.
[ul][*]Enhanced fuel economy potential over conventional oils[*]Superior synthetic base stocks provide faster, safe starts during freezing weather and enhanced thermal properties for hot weather operations[*]Enhanced valve train wear protection and reduced oil filter restriction at high soot levels[*]Reduced high temperature carbon build-up and ring/liner wear protection lead to improved oil consumption control[*]Excellent oxidation, foam and corrosion inhibition[*]Features Dispersive Polymer Technology (DPT) for superior soot control in today's engines with cooled Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)[*]Endorsed and recommended by Cummins Inc.[*]Selected for use in the 2003 Dodge Cummins Lap of America field test[*]Endorsed and recommended by Cummins for use in Dodge Ram Turbo Diesels[/ul]

Old 08-03-2007, 04:01 AM
kg1687
Veteran

Well the amsoil guy pretty much put it in plain black and white for me. Fact. Regular motor oil wasn't really intended for our motors. It was kind of just a throw in HEY IT WORKS! Wah La! I do alot of that around the house. Bailing twine on the panels holding em together. HEY IT WORKS! but does it mean that they're as effective as the little pin that has come up missing some how. Nope. Bailing twine wears out over time and eventually horses/cows get out then I'm F'd for the night. Synthetic was specifically designed for our engines hence the reason it lasts longer + helps our engines last longer too! I'm not sure if I wanna go with the Valvoline Premium blue or the ams oil yet though. Another debate. Probably umm.... valvoline because cummins tested it. Only if it lasted as long as ams oil. Also on the distance thing. Not too concerned with it mainly due to the fact that **** goes wrong with good oil in the engine! Also oil sludge is still there even if you change it every 3k -5k!Isn't it with synthetic less oil sludge? Not sure but never the less. your hey it's been around forever insigna. Well.... Umm.... Lets see. Trucks used to have wagon wheels. Horses have been around forever, reliable. Work hard. Not so many defects if you take care of em and treat em right. But does that mean the old driving a wagon pulled by a horse works for todays world? Nope. World changes. So should your oil!

Old 08-03-2007, 10:45 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

I also run amsoil & a bypass... mine only made it 15k before I had to swap. doing another sample next week to see how it's doing with about 5k on a recent oil change...

damn, just occured to me how many miles i've put on it in the last 6 weeks... where the hell do I drive it????

Old 08-03-2007, 11:15 AM
DBLR
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: hildenja

Mayfair, these are the prices I pay for Amsoil:

DEO 5W-40 CJ-4 synthetic diesel oil - $21.90/gal
HDD 5W-30 CI-4 synthetic diesel oil - $29.15/gal
AME 15W-40 CI-4 synthetic diesel oil - $19.80/gal
PCO 15W-40 CI-4 synthetic blend diesel oil - $17.10

For my last oil change I paid about $88 for three gallons of DEO and a Donaldson Endurance filter from Amsoil.
If you were to buy 4/1 gallon jugs at a time you could get your DEO 5w40 for $20.85 per gallon. I run Amsoil 5w30 HDD so when I buy it in 2.5 gallon jugs I lower my cost per gallon from $29.15 down to $27.44 or $6.86 a qt. My local Walmart wants $6.95 for a qt of Mobile One 15K oil so I can get better oil at a lower cost when I buy it at the wearhouse and they charge me lower sales tax then what I pay in state. Oh I also get free delivery as my dealer picks it up for me when he makes his run to Amsoil in WI [8D]

Quick Reply: synthetic Oil