Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Towing Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 12:05 AM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Towing Question

i think the class IV receiver that i have on my truck is capable of pulling 12k, but i could be wrong and it could of been an upgraded receiver being that i bought my truck used.....

Old 08-03-2007, 12:14 AM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Those ratings are low, we towed a 93 cherokee (6000lbs) with the 06 3.7 dakota, with only a bumper hitch too and it had no problem getting going or stopping, it hunted for gears a bit without tow/haul on though.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:34 AM
spfd308
Professional

thanks for the replies all i appreciate it.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:48 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

i hauled a lot of electrical supplies across the west coast. tow haul is great for weight and trailer.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:11 AM
kg1687
Veteran

you can beef up the reciever for the bumper pull. It all depends on how you have it set up. Like our ford has spots (since my dodge doesn't have a pickup bed anymore ) for a trailer ball on the bumper but welded to the frame is an actual reciever. Which I see alot of trucks having. I'm not too keen on bumper pull really hard to keep the weight from landing all of the tongue. Driving to work today saw a manufactured house being towed by a semi but it was off to the side of the road because the tonuge broke off. Also side note. I know you made your trip already. But I would do T/H anytime it starts hunting for gears. but on flat aways if your not skipping through gears to maintain a speed. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:42 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the torque converter locked up as soon as possible. Something like an ATS Co-Pilot. Once the tc is locked up and being controlled properly, let the tranny shift all it wants.Now run your engine by gauges only. If your EGT's get too high, drop down a gear. Use the seat of yor pants to run that train. If you're getting a lot of black, drop down a gear.

If you have expendable cash on hand, buy a Gear Vendors under/over drive unit.

The factory trannys are pretty rugged if they are not subjected to high fluid temps. And the factory TC needs all the help it can get.

Good luck with your ride.......

OUCH.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:59 AM
DBLR
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: spfd308

So here is the question for those of you who are in the know. I have a 2006 2500 megacab. I'll be towing a 12K pull trailer from OR to MN. I have to go over some passes through ID and MT. What's the best way to tow over these passes and in general. In the tow/haul mode or the overdrive off mode. I got in a debate with a guy at work and now I have doubt about what mode to tow in. Thanks for any information.
spfd308,

IIRC the 2006, 2500 factory trailer hitch can handle 12K if you use a weight distributing set up. As for driving I-90 from OR to MN use T/H mode all the way. Also take it easy on the down hill side of all passes in Idaho, i.e. 4th of July and Look Out Pass and the long down grade just before you get in to Spokane, WA. IMHO once you get to Spokane drive extra careful until you get to in to MT as I still recall all of the stupid drivers in that area when I one again drove I-90 last summer between OR and IA. Oh I almost forget if there is road work in the east side of Coeur d Alene drive very careful in that area too as the road was not all that great when I drove it, that is unless they have finished working on it.

BTW take it easy going down the Continental Divide as I’ve seen a wreck or two on the down hill side of that road. Oh and please make sure you Double check your trailer brakes at the top before you head down it. Also observe the speed posted for semi trucks on your way down as it is a long steep down grade and sh*t does and can happen on that road. Oh the price of Diesel was cheaper in Post Falls, ID (just east of Spokane on I-90) at the Flying J then what I saw posted in Spokane as Idaho has lower road taxes then WA state.

Good Luck on your trip and enjoy all that you get to see along the way and I'm sure you guessed that I've driven I-90 a few times.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:44 PM
SpLaT
Captain

Ipull in tow/haul mode on hills up/down only, otherwise its off for fuel economy.

Don't forget to check ratings on the tongue and the Ball! Not good pullin 12,000#s if you only have a 6000# ball or tongue! Also if your using equalizer or stablizer bars they are rated for the trailer weight, too small and yer gonna break the bars, too large, you might end up with rear of truck in the airor you may twist truck and/or trailer frame.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:03 AM
Collinlancaster

i towed 11,200 from wahoo neb.to s.l.c ut.with a receiver style hitch and did good even when i blew the r.side rear tire on the trailer it stayed pretty controlled.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:29 AM
spfd308
Professional

i say it again to everyone who has responded thanks for you input it is greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Towing Question