Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

96 CTD "issues" HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 05:46 PM
sunchaser5.9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 CTD "issues" HELP!!!

Hey guys/gals: My sister in law has a 96 that she has 340.000 miles on and just loves her truck but it has a habit of blowing the fuse for the fuel pump, speedo, AC ect. I have heard about the lift pump problems and was wondering if it could be the cause, maybe over-amping at certain times?? thwere is no ryme or reason to this, I t might go a week between fuses or it might go 10 min. Any ideas, many thanks.Randy

Old 08-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: 96 CTD "issues" HELP!!!

Fuel pumps in 96's are mechanical aren't they?

Old 08-03-2007, 05:58 PM
sunchaser5.9

I really dont know, that's why I was asking you guys for help, I will have to look into it further. Also when the fuse was blown the engine ran rougher, started harder, led me to believe fuel pump as well. Thoghts?

Old 08-03-2007, 05:59 PM
RamFreak
Veteran

Not sure if they are or not Mayfair, I would start by looking at maybe a voltage regulator or maybe a bare wire somewhere grounding out. Jake and Drew this has your name all over it.
Sunchaser I am sure a few more of the guys will chime in tonight and give you a better idea where to start.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:57 PM
jakebrake
Champion

Lift pump is mechanical so that isn't the cause. Sounds to me like you got a bare wire some place. I know there is a pinch point on the steering column that sometimes takes out a wire.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:05 PM
refloyd
Rookie

the fuel transfer pump on that model is mechanical.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:58 AM
sunchaser5.9

Thanks fella's I guess we will have to get into it and see what shakes out

Trending Topics

Old 08-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

check all of the wire harness connections under the hood. some are those nylon clip together connectors that are on the fender or fire wall. check it in the sun light and look for frayed wires, squishy feeling wires (they will be soft and feel "different" from the rest). look around the battery and check the grounds are still attached at the body. a loose ground will fry circuits..all else fails, grab a haynes and look at the diagrams...

Old 08-05-2007, 04:48 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sunchaser5.9

Hey guys/gals: My sister in law has a 96 that she has 340.000 miles on and just loves her truck but it has a habit of blowing the fuse for the fuel pump, speedo, AC ect. I have heard about the lift pump problems and was wondering if it could be the cause, maybe over-amping at certain times?? thwere is no ryme or reason to this, I t might go a week between fuses or it might go 10 min. Any ideas, many thanks.Randy
I have a 95' and all I can do is tell you my personal findings with a Ram's electrical system.

THEY WEREN'T WELL DESIGNED!.lol.

The other guys are correct. You entire fuel delivery system is mechanical. Can you be more specific which fuse panel you are changing fuses in. The PDC under the hood or the interior, side dash panel? I have a 95' manual and can look up what all is on that circuit. Then we can go from there.

Good luck with your ride.

OUCH!

Quick Reply: 96 CTD "issues" HELP!!!