Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

I might be convinced to go Ford

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 12:42 AM
jakebrake
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I might be convinced to go Ford

Yes sir, Both are freakin sweet[8D], I like this one the best though

Old 08-05-2007, 12:47 AM
htgriffith
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was looking for my first diesel I was told to look around at all the RV parks (this is what I wonted the truck for). Look and see what folks are using to pull with. Also look around and see all the commercial trucks that make a living pulling 5th wheel car trailers etc. I saw 90% Dodge........... I talked to allot of people in the hot shot business in La, (being I work in the oil patch) Every single one of them that had a Dodge said they would not go back to brand "X or Y". The ones that did go to brand "X or Y" kick their self everyday........... My 2 cents, Just do some research before you buy, There is no perfect truck but Dodge is close............

Old 08-05-2007, 12:48 AM
rangerman
Professional

Wow, thanks for the replies. I have decided to still go cummins. I am still not sure if I want a really cool first gen stacked cummins, or go with a second gen. Either way they will be a damn good truck. Sorry if my thread sounded like I was leaning towards a Ford, I just thought that it seemed like a really good truck, hell, it has been running for 140K miles, I thought it was pretty good for a Ford too!!!
Anyway, I am not worried about buying electronic chips and tuners and what not, but I just wanted to know if there is a bunch of upgrades I "could" do to the engine? Since you said they are easy to get power out of. If you were to choose a generation, which would it be?

Old 08-05-2007, 12:55 AM
jakebrake
Champion

1st gens are the harder ones to find parts to hotrod the engine. The easiest engine to mess around with is the 2nd gen 12valves. Lots of parts for them.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:02 AM
rangerman
Professional

Thanks, I will look for one of those then, what about the tranny though, would you recommend a manual if I wanted to upgrade the engine, becuase I heard the auto's aren't very good, and if I put more power into one then it would probably mess up the tranny right?

Old 08-05-2007, 01:07 AM
jakebrake
Champion

Your pretty much set if you get a 5speed manual besides replacing the clutch. You can also get one with an auto and build up the auto. Which is better is what you wanna do with it. If you like racing or building really high numbers on the dyno, I say get the auto. If your like me and use it like a hotrod work truck, get the manual.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:01 AM
Ben D.
Champion

ORIGINAL: sharx ram

I cant believe how upset everyone got about what was said...I took it the way he meant it and I thought it was appropriate...come on guys, we've got tougher skin than that...if theres antone to be mad at, Id say it should have been the one who started the post to begin with. If you want to buy a Ferd, it doesnt make alot of sence to go to a Dodge forum and tell them that you think it is better than a Dodge. Lighten up boys hehehe
lol yea that's what I was thinking but I didn't wanna start a fight too. I've been in the same spot as ranger as far as wanting a truck but just waiting it out because I don't wanna leap into it and also I wanna have a good bit saved up to make a good down payment. but I know what I want and that aint gonna change. I know I want CTD I almost crap myself when one goes buy especially some of the older ones that are obviouslys traight piped. Lamost all the hemi guys I talk too say next truck = CTD.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:18 PM
sharx ram
Champion

ORIGINAL: Ben D.

ORIGINAL: sharx ram

I cant believe how upset everyone got about what was said...I took it the way he meant it and I thought it was appropriate...come on guys, we've got tougher skin than that...if theres antone to be mad at, Id say it should have been the one who started the post to begin with. If you want to buy a Ferd, it doesnt make alot of sence to go to a Dodge forum and tell them that you think it is better than a Dodge. Lighten up boys hehehe
lol yea that's what I was thinking but I didn't wanna start a fight too. I've been in the same spot as ranger as far as wanting a truck but just waiting it out because I don't wanna leap into it and also I wanna have a good bit saved up to make a good down payment. but I know what I want and that aint gonna change. I know I want CTD I almost crap myself when one goes buy especially some of the older ones that are obviouslys traight piped. Lamost all the hemi guys I talk too say next truck = CTD.
I have never owned or wanted to own a Dodge, the engine is the only reason I own one now. You cant argue with the best!

Old 08-05-2007, 12:38 PM
rangerman
Professional

I have actually heard the same thing before. I wish the allison was sitting behind the cummins though.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:58 PM
sharx ram
Champion

Nah ya dont, I have a couple buddy's with GM's and they are going through tranny's as fast as everyone else....yes it's an Allison, but its the cheapest model they make and in my eyes is only Allison by name, not rep so far.

Quick Reply: I might be convinced to go Ford