Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

I might be convinced to go Ford

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 05:08 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I might be convinced to go Ford

I have owned a '99 7.3 and a '04 6.0. The 7.3 was reliable but it was kind of a dog. I pulled the same camper with all three trucks, and BY FAR the Cummins pulls it the best. There isa long grade on I-20 coming into Columbia, SC. I pulled my camper up that with the 7.3 speed = 45 mph max, 6.0 = 55 max (screaming in 3rd gear), Cummins 5.9 = 70 and more pedal left to play with. Mileage between the three is close when towing, but again when empty the CUmmins is much better at sipping the fuel. Lastly go buy fuel or oil filters for your 6.0 and compare that to the 5.9.

As faras the fighting...c'mon guys we're all grown ups here. If you wanna have thin skin go to the Ford sites, those guys love to argue and **** at each other.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:49 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

The truth of the matter is this, we dont need people to be an a$$hole to another member because of their choice of vehicle...... That's not to say you cant bash a particular brand of vehicle, but dont make it a personal attack on a member.

As for the sarcastic response and apology........ I'm one of the most sarcastic people on the forum, but ya gotta keep it funny.....not rude...

Old 08-05-2007, 09:00 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

!

[IMG]local://upfiles/23352/6D9B08D4434F49179FBD3EFCFBF11E06.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-05-2007, 11:56 PM
rangerman
Professional

I thought that the allison was a good tranny? So, pretty much with diesel, dodge has the only good thing going for them then?

Old 08-06-2007, 12:18 AM
kg1687
Veteran

I heard that the brand new dodge's are getting the allison. I talked to a chevy dealer and they had a lot of problems converting the allison for the duramax. At first, I think the original truck was post to be producing around 800 torque and around 500 hp. Could be wrong but it was way up high. My buddy's (big chevy pushers) were bragging. But they kept shooting through allison. They had to back it down. I test drove alot of auto fords, chevy's, and dodges I looked for manuals but I test drove everything (what can I say. It's free. It's fun. And I don't have to buy diesel!) Honestly I can say is if I bought a 2nd gen ram and built the auto tranny I'd probably not want it. Ford tranny's weren't horrible neither were 3rd gen rams. The chevy auto trans out of the three had high points and it's low points. I'd say high point is in 4 low and with tow haul mode in. It was very sticky like a manual would be in it's gear. Very little slop. For instance put it in 4 low at the chevy dealer ship let off the brake and it climbed up the curb with no throttle. Was very impressed. But I didn't like the shift points and when you were hotrodding it, it wasn't very firm in shifts in regular mode. I'd say best tranny out of the three. Not all it's made to be. Only reason I say best is because of how sticky it is in 4 low and tow haul. Other wise pretty much similar. I've heard of em going out too. Mainly a brand name to bring buyers back to chevy in the diesel market due to their bad luck with the 6.5L Turbo. My opinion of course.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:18 AM
bksram3500
Record Breaker

My dad has a 2005Duramax and loves it. But my dad is a huge Chevy man. I had Chevys until I didn't need a co signer. I can't say anything bad about Chevys but I do like my Cummins better. And good luck trying to find a Chevy in a manual

Old 08-06-2007, 08:00 AM
bwrong
Rookie

ORIGINAL: sharx ram

ORIGINAL: Ben D.

ORIGINAL: sharx ram

I cant believe how upset everyone got about what was said...I took it the way he meant it and I thought it was appropriate...come on guys, we've got tougher skin than that...if theres antone to be mad at, Id say it should have been the one who started the post to begin with. If you want to buy a Ferd, it doesnt make alot of sence to go to a Dodge forum and tell them that you think it is better than a Dodge. Lighten up boys hehehe
lol yea that's what I was thinking but I didn't wanna start a fight too. I've been in the same spot as ranger as far as wanting a truck but just waiting it out because I don't wanna leap into it and also I wanna have a good bit saved up to make a good down payment. but I know what I want and that aint gonna change. I know I want CTD I almost crap myself when one goes buy especially some of the older ones that are obviouslys traight piped. Lamost all the hemi guys I talk too say next truck = CTD.
I have never owned or wanted to own a Dodge, the engine is the only reason I own one now. You cant argue with the best!
YEP. When I was looking at the truck I bought a fellow walked up and said "that would be a hell of a rig if it just didn't have that Dodge wrapped around it." LMAO

Old 08-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Hemi402

funny stuff,, real funny stuff. i tell ya if you wanna ruin your life go for it bud, but lemme tell ya one thing that ford will break your back and your wallet. take my advice, ive worked on too many fords to even be sane. thank god for cummins.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:50 AM
kg1687
Veteran

I don't think the duramax ever had manualstheir big thing was the allison auto. I was on the understanding that they switched to pure auto's in duramax and mostly auto's in everything else.

Quick Reply: I might be convinced to go Ford