Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

for you contractors and inspectors a like..

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:07 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: for you contractors and inspectors a like..

ORIGINAL: triton

here's a good test pic. Can you see what's wrong ?

I'm no electrician and really don't know what I'm looking at, but is it OK to use one screw ( terminal ?) to hold two cables? ( done in several places in the box on the right )

Shouldn't there be a breaker in there somewhere?

Old 08-07-2007, 12:30 PM
triton
Record Breaker

for not knowing about it Mayfair... that's pretty good. Not the problem though, those lugs are rated for two wires.

Ok, here's the deal.

The two parallel feed come up the bottom on the right. Those wires come straight from the pole and are CTed at the pole. The was never a disconnect between the utility and the house. This was done way back in the day before codes were very enforced.

The problem with this service is.... the two parallel feeds. By code you can't enter a raceway with hot ( unfused ) wires. There needed to be a disconnect before they entered the raceway.

Baja - it is required to have the bushings on the nipples, they're galv. There isn't any meg bushings on them though because the raceway is grounded so, there was no need to meg them.

The original feeds feed two 200A panels in the house. The service needed to be brought up to code and we also installed a whole house generator. It's not a motor starter you mentioned, it's a 400A transfer switch and a 400A disco.

The splice blocks in the raceway are perfectly legal. The existing wires (parallels) weren't long enough to make it into the disco so, they had to be spliced. Unfortunately, the guys I had do the work neglected to runs the wires into the disco before entering the raceway [:@]

So, the easy fix was to install a J-box under the raceway with the parallels into it, then 90 around the raceway up into the disco. I hated ahving to splice the feeds but, it was the easiest option and the inspector was cool with it. That's the option the inspector and I went for because those feeds have been in the ground a LONG time and the pole they feed from was 150 yards away! There was no was they were gonna get pulled out.

The neutral and ground are under the same lug because it's the first point of disconnect, otherwise you're right... they would need to have been floated.

And so ends the electrical lesson of the day :-) It was a tricky problem to see which is way I posted it. It was a easy mistake to make.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Mayfair
Legend

pfft ... that stuff you mentioned was simple to see andclearly obvious. Any rookie could see that.I just wasn't sure what the rating was on the screws.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:55 PM
triton
Record Breaker

he he he... Kevins gonna beat you !

Old 08-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: triton

he he he... Kevins gonna beat you !
no! Im too busy laughin at the HASLHOF sig!!! [sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=roll.gif]

now thats just like the boss, leave out the back ground info on a test..geez..

kinda like "here, figure this out and Ill hire ya".......(( lets see if he can do it, I gave no back ground info, just a frickin pic!!! lol!!! ))

"The two parallel feed come up the bottom on the right. Those wires come straight from the pole and are CTed at the pole. The was never a disconnect between the utility and the house. This was done way back in the day before codes were very enforced. "

I do not have a disconnect at my house either..just at theutility xfmr in the back yard...[:'(]

Quick Reply: for you contractors and inspectors a like..