Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Hiloram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Change

You might have to get a sprayer and some more used oil and spray it all down. Then it will match.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:25 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

If most of the oil is already gone then try a quart of concentrated lemon juice. For some reason citrus juice works on cleaning up stains on cement.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:39 PM
Mayfair
Legend

DEFINATELY get rid of the Fram !! Take it off, get a new filter, fill it with fresh oil and install it. Place an order with geno's for some fleetguard filters and while you're at it order one of these. Next time, you'll be able to change your oil in a tuxedo and not get dirty. Your driveway will thank you.

[IMG]local://upfiles/42139/46D6837C4925449499435FA45D107805.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/42139/5888216E5AAD417DBC71E921679E99F5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-07-2007, 02:27 PM
KillerCummins
Professional

Dang Mayfair, that is tight. What is it called? I'm going to get my new filter today after work, you guys have me sh**ing bricks over here and the truck isn't even running. I'm not a fan of stuff sticking out under the truck though. I'm trying to get the shaft of a grease fitting out of my passenger lower control arm that was broken when I hit who knows what. Anyone have any ideas on that? Its broken of flush if not more into the hole. Nothing to grip with plyers. I think the oil pan is high enough that I wouldn't break that valve off, it would be worth the risk so I dont have another spill though, lol. Thanks

Old 08-07-2007, 02:59 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

ORIGINAL: KillerCummins

Dang Mayfair, that is tight. What is it called? I'm going to get my new filter today after work, you guys have me sh**ing bricks over here and the truck isn't even running. I'm not a fan of stuff sticking out under the truck though. I'm trying to get the shaft of a grease fitting out of my passenger lower control arm that was broken when I hit who knows what. Anyone have any ideas on that? Its broken of flush if not more into the hole. Nothing to grip with plyers. I think the oil pan is high enough that I wouldn't break that valve off, it would be worth the risk so I dont have another spill though, lol. Thanks
I have never had to remove a broken grease zerk but I would think you could use a screw extractor, like this one. You can probably buy a whole set of them at Sears for $15. You drill a certain size hole, then thread the extractor in counter-clockwise. The spiral flutes dig in, and it will back out the broken piece.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:05 PM
KillerCummins
Professional

The autopart store didn't have one small enough, but I'll check sears. Thanks hildenja

Old 08-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: KillerCummins

Dang Mayfair, that is tight. What is it called?

I'm not a fan of stuff sticking out under the truck though.
I forget what it's called. I got it at Geno's. you can order it either with or without the nipple for the hose. I doesn't stick down far at all.I love it.

Here ya go ....

http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....er=FTP-F104N-A

Old 08-07-2007, 04:17 PM
KillerCummins
Professional

Cool, thanks Mayfair. Picked up some muratic acid, gonna try it out when I get home. i'll let youguys know if I make any progress

Old 08-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

ORIGINAL: Drew

wix, baldwinor fleetguard. . .too many engines have been destroyed by the fram filter falling apart interanly from the oil pressure generated by the pump.

second. . .muratic acid
Hey Drew, I have a question about this. I heard it said previously that a Fram oil filter'sinternals can be destroyed by the oil pressure of a Cummins. My oil pressure gauge shows about 40 psi at idle and gets up to about 65 psi at high RPM. That seems about the same as any other engines I have had in carsor boats. Is the Cummins oil pressure higher at the filter than other engines? What makes it destroy a Fram filter faster than another type of engine?

Old 08-07-2007, 11:08 PM
KillerCummins
Professional

Tried the muratic acid out. Dang you guys weren't kidding, thats some strong stuff. However it ate through the concrete a little more than i would of liked, and the oil a lot less than i would of liked. Made progress though, I can now see white through the black, which is a big step. Lots left to go, gonna have to borrow a power washer from my brother, maybe be able to get it by friday. I also changed out that fram with a wix. Still can believe that the fram is a POS, but if Drew says something about it, its not bs. Thanks a lot everyone

Quick Reply: Oil Change