Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 11:11 PM
KillerCummins
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Change

Oh , I also ordered that easy drain oil plug along with some " got diesel" shirts, primium fuel filters, fleetguard oil filters, and an oil test kit. Hells ya!

Old 08-12-2007, 11:21 PM
Ralph78
Professional

"Sodium Meta Silicate" will deep clean oil stains from your concrete driveway. The Sodium Meta Silicate reacts with the oil to form a low grade detergent, yet the pH is not so high as to give you a "Caustic" burn. I wash the driveway down, then sprinkle on the Sodium Meta Silicate and let it set overnight. The next morning I take a garden hose with a pressure nozzle on it and wash the area until all of the Sodium Meta Silicate is gone. In cases where the drive is VERY badly stained with a deep solid buildup of oil residue, you will need to repeat once or twice. DO NOT USE SODIUM META SILICATE ON ASPHALT DRIVES, IT WILL DAMAGE THE ASPHALT AND CAUSE LOTS OF PROBLEMS, BUT IS PERFECTLY SAFE FOR CONCRETE.

Ralph

Old 08-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ralph78

"Sodium Meta Silicate" will deep clean oil stains from your concrete driveway. The Sodium Meta Silicate reacts with the oil to form a low grade detergent, yet the pH is not so high as to give you a "Caustic" burn. I wash the driveway down, then sprinkle on the Sodium Meta Silicate and let it set overnight. The next morning I take a garden hose with a pressure nozzle on it and wash the area until all of the Sodium Meta Silicate is gone. In cases where the drive is VERY badly stained with a deep solid buildup of oil residue, you will need to repeat once or twice. DO NOT USE SODIUM META SILICATE ON ASPHALT DRIVES, IT WILL DAMAGE THE ASPHALT AND CAUSE LOTS OF PROBLEMS, BUT IS PERFECTLY SAFE FOR CONCRETE.

Ralph

hum. . .Ive never heard of that stuff ralph. . .I usualy just water down the muratic acid a bit, spray it on with a garden sprayer, let it sit, them pressure wash it away. . .

Old 08-13-2007, 03:55 PM
dramman

If the extra oil is picked up alread and it's the stain you're trying to get rid of.
If you don't have a pressure washer, then,
Get some concrete cleaner and work it into the stain then apply some kitty litter or oil dry on it to soak up the excess.
a pressure washer would be the best thing to get the oil out of the concrete though. the concrete cleaner works real good too

Old 08-13-2007, 04:16 PM
AudioAndrew

My brother did almost the exact same thing when he changed his oil. I handed him the drain tub and he pulled out the plug, but didn't open the breather. Oil spilled out over the side of the tub and got on the driveway, but at least it's asphalt and not concrete. We sprayed it with some Brakleen and wiped up most of it. The stain is under the car port where he parks, so it's not very noticable.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:12 AM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Ralph78

"Sodium Meta Silicate" will deep clean oil stains from your concrete driveway.
Where do ya get that stuff ??

I've never heard of it

Old 08-14-2007, 04:54 AM
JT824Megacab
Professional

If all of the above things still dont work for cleaming your driveway...as a last resort pour another slab on concrete and then you will have a nice clean driveway.....

Old 08-14-2007, 12:12 PM
KillerCummins
Professional

Lol, personally, it doesn't bother me. But I live in a condo, and I know the neighbors just love the stain. I'm waiting for the HOA to come try to fine me or something. My bros powerwasher is MIA, he thinks someone just borrowed it and hasn't returned it yet but theres no telling where it is. Gonna get ahold of one though. thanks for all yalls input.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:05 PM
htgriffith
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get one at a rent all. I never had good luck in getting all of it up with a pressure washer once it has soaked in. Once it gets down in the pours of the concrete it is hard to get ALL the way out. But I do hope something works for you so I can try it next time.............

Quick Reply: Oil Change