Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 03:25 PM
KillerCummins
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change

Short version. I spilled an a$$load of oil all over my driveway. Does anyone know how i can get it out/ get the black off. It is a concrete driveway. So far I've used dawn dish soap and water, as far as I know, thats the best to get it off, but what about the stain? Thanks so much for anyone who can help

Long version. Last night I had an oil change from hell. I had my new fram, the new Rotella, and a bottle of Lucas stablizer ready to go. I put the drain pan under the truck and made sure I took the center plug out and opened the side vent. I broke over the drain plug on the oil pan with a ratchet, then proceded to take it out by hand. I knew the oil was still hot, but I was in a hurry because I had a hott date, and it wasn't that big of deal because I've changed it hot before. Anyways,Idouble checked everything because I knew I was in a hurry, but I was doing good and had not forgotten anything. As I pulled the plug in a swift motion, I got oil all over my hand, which is a common occurence, however, since it was so hot, I didn't even notice that I had dropped the plug onto the drain pan. The bowl on the top of the pan was filling, and I was moving it around, thinking that it wasn't draining directly into the hole causing it to accumulate on the lid. It still didn't drain. It finally clicked that the plug had plugged the hole, and I reached my hand in to get it, and touched it, but my hand was burning so badly that I had to pull it out. Since oil sticks to your hands I was wiping it off on everything I could while it was still burning. I finally just flipped the pan over and pulled the plug out.Dumb idea, almost all of the oil had already drained, so I'm stuck with trying to clean up my drive way. I live in the city and the neighbors dont look happy with my eyesore driveway.Thanks

Old 08-06-2007, 03:31 PM
07 Ram TRX4
Captain
Default RE: Oil Change

Not sure if it'll work... But maybe a Heavy-Duty degreaser? and a crappy push broom to mix it around.... and sum super absorbent cat little to sit on the stain... may soak sum of it up... other then that... not sure....Hope your hands alright..

Old 08-06-2007, 03:33 PM
timesublime
Veteran

Laundry detergent, pour the powder on the oil andgrind it in with your feet to soak up the oil in the cement then wash it away with water. If this is not clean enough, go to the hardware store and buy some Muriatic Acid and a good deck scrubber. Not the one that fits in your hand, the one with the mop handle. Pour the acid on the stain and scrub away. It will eat a layer or two of the stained cement away as you scrub just watch the vapors they will knock the wind out of you. Then rinse.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:36 PM
sabersix

I've had success with kitty litter and a big cinder block to grind the litter into the oil. Work it awhile with the cinder block and sweep it up. Repeat as needed.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:37 PM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

this happend to my driveway while changing my jeep oil...i just used engine decreaser that you can spary and alot of purple power....it is still stained a little bit but came out for the most part.....about a year later i just sealed the driveway and never saw it again!

Old 08-06-2007, 03:44 PM
KillerCummins
Professional

Alright, thanks guys I appreciate it. i feel like such an idiot for doing that. My hand is fine thanks for asking. I think I could of pulled the plug out, but I couldn't risk not being able to use my hand at work. Whatever though, thanks for the advise, i'll try that out when i get home.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

I have used Swab Concrete Cleaner by Gunk. It is available at some auto parts stores.

I have heard that Griot's Concrete Cleaner is great, but it's expensive.

When I was a kid I remember my dad always had a big bag of Oil Dri absorbent in the garage, which is probably the same as the kitty litter that Sabersix is talking about. My dad would pour a small pile of Oil Dri onto an oil stain, and then grind it into the concrete with his shoe until it wasa powder. There would still be a trace of the stain, but it was a big improvement.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:19 PM
Silverline
Veteran

Just a little side note. You might not want to use Fram filters very often. They have a history of not being able to keep up with the CTD and basically self destruct from the inside out and can puke all your oil.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

Not sure your neighbors would appreciate this, but I have had luck with small metered amounts of gasoline and a match, if done very carefully and under a very watchful eye ( and garden hose and fire extinguisher ) it worked for me......

Old 08-06-2007, 05:14 PM
07 Ram TRX4
Captain

ORIGINAL: Tommygunz

Not sure your neighbors would appreciate this, but I have had luck with small metered amounts of gasoline and a match, if done very carefully and under a very watchful eye ( and garden hose and fire extinguisher ) it worked for me......
You Pyro you.....

[IMG]local://upfiles/67955/651791CF24AF40F392C8F62CD795AF15.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Oil Change