Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Do any of you use a radiator jacket?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 04:43 PM
halfdozenbuzzin
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do any of you use a radiator jacket?

This 100° heat has me pondering my first winter with the diesel. I think the ford or chevy come with integrated radiator jackets. I was wondering if one is needed for cold winter driving with the CTD. If so.. can you recommend a brand or place to buy one? how to make one? any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:02 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: Do any of you use a radiator jacket?

Ajacket ??

Never heard of it.

Some of the guy's who live in extreme winter areas block the radiator a bit with a cover ( althought i can't remember what their called ). Perhaps that's what you are calling a jacket? Anyway, unless you live in one of thosee extreme areas, I wouldn't bother. I live in Philly and I've never needed one.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:17 PM
halfdozenbuzzin
Professional

Just something to block the amount of air going through the radiator..I'm not sure " radiator jacket" is the official term.. butI couldn't think of another way to discribe it. I have heard it helps decrease the warm up time.I'm pretty sure one of the other manufacturers includes one from the factory. Here in Kansas we might see below zero temps a few times during the winter but not on a regular basis.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Mayfair
Legend

For a few times during the year, I wouldn't bother worrying about it. that's about the same as here. The only thing I would do if I were you is plug your Ram in at night to warm up the block before fireing it up. I have mine on a timer to start warming about 3 hours before I leave in the morning.

Speaking of warm up .... here's a little tid-bit you might not be aware of yet ...

You can let you Ram run ( idle ) for 20 minutes, or 20 hours, it isn't going to do JACK as far as your heater goes. The only way to warm up the cab is to start driving !!

OK, I've been patient long enough .... Where are the pics of your rig ???

Old 08-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Sereguial
Professional

I live in a relatively warm area of Idaho, but it gets down to the teens for weeks on end (I know, not that bad...), and I don't have anything to control temp on my truck. Having said that, I have NEVER had a problem starting it (and never have plugged in the block heater either), but it never gets warm (thank god for seat warmers!) and in fact if I am idling the temp will drop like a rock (don't know exact temp due to the guage not having #'s but I would guess around 140-150 ish). I thought about putting one on, and almost did, but I don't drive much in the winter as is, and usually choose the wife's all wheel drive and steering VR-4... which is REALLY nice in the snow and ice (not that these trucks are bad, but with the long heat up time it is just so much easier with the car). If I was going to stick around here, or if I get into an area where the temp drops below zero several times in the winter I would definately get one.Not required I don't think, but definately would be nice.
Where/what to get I have no idea... waiting on others replies on that one.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:43 PM
halfdozenbuzzin
Professional

If this works......Here she is...

Old 08-08-2007, 11:02 PM
SpLaT
Captain

North of the 49th parallel we call em "winter fronts" either they are polished alum. or stainless steel which can be had with solid fronts or with slotted "louvers" or another type iswhat I like to call "horse blankets" which use snaps to hold em place (kinda ugly! but meant for extreme temps) They are insulated blankets that cover the grill.I have a set which fasten from the back side of the grill (kinda like inserts) they are stainless steel and slotted (not too restrictive but sufficient enough to help with wind chills... they worked well last winter when we had a spell of -40* for a week straight!!), a real must have when the snow starts blowin around these parts!! I'd post a pic of them but ain't winter yet!!

Old 08-08-2007, 11:03 PM
halfdozenbuzzin
Professional

Sereguial: "it never gets warm (thank god for seat warmers!) and in fact if I am idling the temp will drop like a rock"

See... thats what I was wondering..I have2 4x4 fordsat my disposal for winter driving.. Which is whyI went for the 4x2 as a tow vehicle.. But there will be times such as holidays whereI will want to drive my ram.. On those occaisions it will have to be parked outdoors..I plan to throw in an extension cord in for the block heater.. but thought maybe blocking off some of the radiator would help with warm up and interior comfort seeing as the little lady likes things to be toasty. Hopefully someone will chime in with some ideas on this subject before the snow flies.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:05 PM
SpLaT
Captain

Check "lund industries" keyword winter fronts or "grillguards"

Old 08-08-2007, 11:59 PM
halfdozenbuzzin
Professional

While searching for 'lund industries'I came across a sitelisting a few Dodge Ram grill inserts.. I thought I'd share themis-translation with you..I got a kick out of it anyway

"Lund's Stainless Screen Front Custom Grill Inserts ar enchanting, and rattling leisurely to instal. The innovational plan gives your Chevrolet Silverado a clear, sharp-worded appear spell providing shelter as antidote to your radiator from bugs and other dust. Each unitary is tradition intentional with a view to a hone set in quest of your excipient, and is made from 304 unsullied nerve! Easy, no practise installing testament habituate a patented cut short scheme to instal."

"rattling leisurely to instal".. lol .. doesn't sound so easy!

Quick Reply: Do any of you use a radiator jacket?