Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Injector saga continues

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 12:12 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector saga continues

Some of you may remember that I am having what I am convinced are injector issues. I had an appointment with the diesel tech that I liked at my dealer last week. When I showed up to drop the truck off I found out the guy had a massive heart attack and passed away at work ealier in the week. WOW that was a shock, and a real bummer. This guy was a really good guy and old fashioned common sense mechanic. I feel for his family and co workers.
I now have another appointment with the other diesel tech. He is going to pull the exhaust manifold and then crank it up the next day to find which injector/s is/are leaking down over night. Has anyone heard of this method or used it before? Are there any down sides to using this method? All commentes are welcome.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Injector saga continues

that is one way to check to see if an injector is not closeing properly on jerk style injectors. our electronic will do the same.

you jusy look for a defined puff of smoke/wet exhaustfrom the exhaust ports.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:14 PM
triton
Record Breaker

I don't know Nick. That doesn't sound right. The way I know of a leak down is to put a pressure gauge on it and that's checking for cylinder ring and gasket problems. It's not good to crank it without the manifold too so, there's another reason to be skeptial... a good mechanic would have the correct gauges.

The injector/s would need to be pop tested to see if they have a problem. They'd likely have to be sent out to do that. From what I understand about the dealers though... if they find a problem with one, it's just replaced and not sent out for testing. The way they'd likely checked them is through the ECM. Jake should be able to answer this for you.

Since your truck is under warranty... I'd just let them do what they need to do.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:17 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

They did a contribution test and it showed 2 of them putting out 92 - 94% while the other 4 were at 100 - 102 %, they also did a individual injector kill test which was really inconclusive. The problem is DC didn't think those numbers were bad enough to do anything. I had to meet with the service manager and he had to get the area rep involved to get the green light to do something. Anyway I am going to let him do his thing and then ask that he replace the two that were below 100 % assuming at least one of those shows something when the manifold is off. I will be dropping it off next Thursday and he is supposed to get it back to me by Friday afternoon.

Quick Reply: Injector saga continues